How do I?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It wouldn't matter if it hit an asphalt parking lot it would have keep on going. Your talking a couple hundred tons at high velocity,it also would have exploded like Berringer or any other Meteorite does on impact,or before impact. And if it did not then it would have a massive impact crater. Pics would be cool.

The Hoba meteorite is the largest known to date, at 66 tons, and it did not make a huge crater.....

Hoba: The World's Largest Meteorite

"It is surprising that this meteorite is not surrounded by a crater. Objects of this size should punch through the atmosphere at a very high rate of speed and hit Earth with enough force to blast a significant crater. No crater is present around the site of the meteorite. This suggests that it fell to earth at a lower rate of speed than expected. Some scientists believe that the flat shape of the object may be responsible for its low velocity at impact."

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Good point. The Hoba is an iron meteorite.

This is not an iron. More likely a pallasite, which would partially explain the shallow crater (along with where it landed).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Update: stone is on land! About 400 feet above the water table at high tide. Sorry for my errors. Have purchased a drone to assist in locating stone.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please send me a piece good luck my friend. Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread