Is it an ordinary rock, or something more?

Cantstopdigging

Sep 9, 2016
NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello forum,

I was out detecting in a field that was once farmland. I found a 1918 D wheat penny, a horse shoe, a square nail, old fencing, and a great deal of rusty steal. I noticed a pile of round rocks stacked in one area so I began searching around this pile, and my metal detector began pinging like crazy. Immediately I thought this pile of rocks could have a cache beneath it so I began moving these rocks. Once I move the rocks there was nothing, so I went back around the now scattered group of rocks and noticed that two of the rocks were the culprit that made my detector ping. They are slightly smaller than a bowling ball, round and grey. I'm tempted to go back to the site with a magnet, and maybe take some pictures. Could they be meteorites, or simply rocks that contain ferrous metal?

Regards,

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa
Could be meteorites or rocks w/ a lot of iron ore in them since you're close to the iron ore beds (Ontario) or something from the nearby Erie Canal.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Lots of iron ore in that area. The likelihood of a meteorite is low, but not impossible. If you want a definitive answer, take any rocks you suspect may be meteorites to a qualified professional for evaluation.

OP
OP
Cantstopdigging

Cantstopdigging

Sep 9, 2016
NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. I was thinking that they were glacial rocks as this location is way up high on a rolling hill located in Perinton, NY, and not down low by any lake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread