Spacetime

Greenie
Mar 1, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this one 44 years ago when I was 4 years old walking with my Grandad on the way to the store thought it was some kind of Indian Arrowhead four months ago at Thanksgiving mom brings it out and I realized it was no Arrowhead no Spearhead thought it was a meteorite a guy at the IMCA said it was a very interesting pallasite I found it in Lodi California and I want to know how to get it certified

Attachments

• 20161125_202717.jpg
    20161125_202717.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 165
  • 20161125_212920.jpg
    20161125_212920.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 158
  • 20161125_202509.jpg
    20161125_202509.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 140

bloovey

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a meteor lab in the USA, You can send a small sample for them to test and authenticate, cost is $45 plus shipping.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Spacetime, I would suggest you head to your local bookstore and pick up at least a few guides and handbooks on meteorites. Such things prove helpful, even to professionals.

I really do appreciate the enthusiasm, but your posts demonstrate a complete lack of both information and experience, hence the suggestion to pick up a few books. While the images provided in this thread appear to be meteoritic in origin, they could also be worked iron. Getting these items to a qualified professional would be best for definitive identification. Were you to accompany the items, you would learn quite a bit about meteorites that would not be available here, simply because anyone here would only be commenting on images, not an item they could examine.

Once again, I appreciate the enthusiasm, but you have to do the work of learning.

Time for spiked coffee.

OP
OP
S

Spacetime

Greenie
Mar 1, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats strange because a member of the IMCA said this was pallasite

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grind off a corner with some fine sandpaper, and let's see what the inside looks like.

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure but looks like it could be. A meteorite testing company can take a small sample. Cost is around $20 to send in 3 different stones.

-SC

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats strange because a member of the IMCA said this was pallasite

Yeah, I've collected meteorites since 1983, when I bought 3 from Bob Haig, and just couldn't stop. And so, I find it very odd that an IMCA member would identify it as such, especially if that ID was based simply on these photos. Of course, they're not the best photos, and maybe the IMCA member actually examined the piece. I don't see visible olivine crystals, so it's mystifying to me. Maybe he/she saw something we are not seeing....

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wonder if its a pallasite that some native American shaped into a spear point.
Early Eskimo hunters did just that.
Prehistoric Eskimos mined giant space rocks to make tools and weapons | Daily Mail Online
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...93410217d000000.pdf?origin=publication_detail

If it is its a very rare find for Calif and it might have been a ceremonial point.

I have a bird point i found out in the desert that was made from fire opal.

No, I've been involved with Native American artifacts for close to 60 years now. It is definetly not an artifact, showing no indication that it was flaked or ground into shape. It's 100% natural.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread