Possible Eucrite or Lunar brecciated pieces.

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very close resemblance to many basaltic brecciated Eucrite and Lunar meteorites. One of them has remnant fusion crust and very beautiful clast arrangement. Another one has a clast that covers half of one face, while the other half is sprinkled with smaller light colored clasts over dark matrix of melt. the larger one is shocked to hell, and displays beautifully laid clasts. Very well representated areas of shock melt as well. IMG_20170404_102717.jpg IMG_20170404_102610.jpg IMG_20170404_102525.jpg IMG_20170404_102346.jpg
IMG_20170404_102428.jpg

Thoughts? Opinions? I will take some better pics this afternoon. I know these are fairly pixelated when zoomed in, but the clastic composition/shocked nature of the pieces is pretty obvious IMO. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

muledeericeberg

Apr 9, 2017
Colorado Springs
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The large uniform feldspar domains in your first photo seems terrestrial and looks pink like K-Spar. It does look shocked but not shock morphed maybe subjected to only 100kbars of pressure and a few hundred degrees celcius tops.
The clasts do get smaller and is a very beautiful rock. I see that remnant crust as well, but it appears representative to the interior of the stone.
I think if it was a meteorite the clasts would all be smaller and they would be less linear. The morphing and diffusing of neighboring chemicals is what creates the clasts in the first place and that tendency is spherical over pressures of 2000 kbars and 1000 degrees Celsius which mimics reentry and impact. I'm not sure if your pretty pieces conformed quite to those standards.
Did you break it open or is that how you found them?
Did you find in Rocky highlands or low flats?
Any and all information is useful.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if thats a meteorite then I passed up on many of them this weekend. I'm thinking it's not, but someone on here will know much more than I.

OP
OP
P

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The large uniform feldspar domains in your first photo seems terrestrial and looks pink like K-Spar. It does look shocked but not shock morphed maybe subjected to only 100kbars of pressure and a few hundred degrees celcius tops.
The clasts do get smaller and is a very beautiful rock. I see that remnant crust as well, but it appears representative to the interior of the stone.
I think if it was a meteorite the clasts would all be smaller and they would be less linear. The morphing and diffusing of neighboring chemicals is what creates the clasts in the first place and that tendency is spherical over pressures of 2000 kbars and 1000 degrees Celsius which mimics reentry and impact. I'm not sure if your pretty pieces conformed quite to those standards.
Did you break it open or is that how you found them?
Did you find in Rocky highlands or low flats?
Any and all information is useful.

These pieces are as they were found. I live just inside a valley, which is flat bottom, but littered with fingers of ditches. Surrounding the valley is a series of ridge lines. Mostly dry, lots of wind, occasional flooding due to sporadic storm activity. That help?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not meteorites, but a boy can dream! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions