Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Small Chunk of "?" :(, or Meteorite :)

Hello all,,,
I found this chunk of "?" at an old dump site today. At first I thought, Wow!, a meteorite... BUT, now I'm not sure what it is. A strong magnet won't stick to it anywhere although, it does have a slight attraction in the places I marked with red "X's". (Shown in the Top, Bottom, and Side 3, images.) Side 3 seems to be the only place there is any rust as well, at least that's what it looks like. It kinda look as though a piece of iron/steal was wielded, or fused to the other material, but then again, a lot of it looks to be attached naturally?. Also, if you move the magnet across any of the grayish colored areas it seems as though it has a slight attraction, then slightly repails, as you move it across the surface. The grey colored areas also seem to reflect a copper/gold colored light off of the different angles as you rotate the piece.

You can click on the images for a larger view...
Top_Small.jpg Bottom_Small.jpg
Side_1_Small.jpg Side_2_Small.jpg Side_3_Small.jpg

The item is about 2"x"2" and weighs right at a 1/2 pound.
I know I've never seen anything like it, and I have been around quite a few different metals in my day.
Anyone ever seen anything like it, any guesses,,, Please, tell me it's a meteorite... :D
Have a great day, Leon...

P.S.> I scratched it across some paper and it didn't leave any marks?
The material is very hard...

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Small Chunk of "?" :(, or Meteorite :)

i think its not a meteor - wrong 8)

SkyRock Cafe

Greenie
Sep 25, 2007

I would have to see a view of the interior, to get a better idea of what it is that you have, I would cut a piece and polish it to see what the interior looks like, most meteorites look somewhat alike.
Happy Hunting,
Joe Kerchner

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Leon said:
Hello all,,,
I found this chunk of "?" at an old dump site today. At first I thought, Wow!, a meteorite... BUT, now I'm not sure what it is. A strong magnet won't stick to it anywhere although, it does have a slight attraction in the places I marked with red "X's". (Shown in the Top, Bottom, and Side 3, images.) Side 3 seems to be the only place there is any rust as well, at least that's what it looks like. It kinda look as though a piece of iron/steal was wielded, or fused to the other material, but then again, a lot of it looks to be attached naturally?. Also, if you move the magnet across any of the grayish colored areas it seems as though it has a slight attraction, then slightly repails, as you move it across the surface. The grey colored areas also seem to reflect a copper/gold colored light off of the different angles as you rotate the piece.

You can click on the images for a larger view...

The item is about 2"x"2" and weighs right at a 1/2 pound.
I know I've never seen anything like it, and I have been around quite a few different metals in my day.
Anyone ever seen anything like it, any guesses,,, Please, tell me it's a meteorite... :D
Have a great day, Leon...

P.S.> I scratched it across some paper and it didn't leave any marks?
The material is very hard...
I am like most if i find something i don't know what i found or how to get it checked out.........................==Jim==

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My guess is igneous-volcanic Basalt, fairly common and would be a combination of those minerals in your area.

SilverSleuth

Oct 5, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Meteorites never have that kind of pitted surface (side 2 bottom).

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

this looks similar to what they call a fracture cone. this is where a metorite hits the ground and fractures the rock. kinda like when a BB gun hits a glass window and pops out a peice of glass.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

is a magnet attracted to it? I have read that all meteorites are attracted to a magnet. Bryan

K

Kentucky Kache

Nice find, Leon, whatever it is. I keep finding meteor wrongs, but I'm not gonna stop looking. Maybe the more wrongs we find will bring us closer to a right. Keep searching.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

comisoas said:
is a magnet attracted to it? I have read that all meteorites are attracted to a magnet. Bryan
Not ALL are attracted ever heard of stony meteorites???

K

Kentucky Kache

Eu_citzen said:
comisoas said:

It's my understanding that even stony meteorites are moderately attracted to a magnet, as they contain a small amount of nickel-iron alloy.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jbot said:
Eu_citzen said:
comisoas said:

It's my understanding that even stony meteorites are moderately attracted to a magnet, as they contain a small amount of nickel-iron alloy.

Thank you

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Here is a quote form another forum:
All meteorites except the 'pure'-stoney type have proportions of iron / nickel so you could always do the magnet test

Link:
http://forums.astronomydaily.com/viewtopic.php?p=50932

Here is more:
Not all meteorites are magnetic though so you'll have to do your own research to see what to look for.
Link:
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread283602/pg1

I might get back later with more 'prof' if you want.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

prob :icon_scratch: Basalt

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

YUP! Looks like a meteorite to me! It has ablations on the leading side and bubbles on the back where the hot air collected. Have it checked out. And first make sure it sticks to a megnet and has silver flecks inside.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread