Meteorite or not ?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jezza85
  • 1 Post By galenrog

Thread: Meteorite or not ?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Sep 2019
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Meteorite or not ?

So its my 2nd time metal detecting and i was in an olive garden with no buildings around. I found 3 separate pieces with the detector all in the same field and nothing else around. They are all magnetic and somehow I feel as though they were 1 piece. They are black and brownish in some places and you can see kind of silver dots around them.

Pictures attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190918_035429.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	1754135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190918_030833.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	1754134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190918_030948.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	4.39 MB 
ID:	1754136  
    BC1969 likes this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
    9850 times
    Welcome to Tnet!
    I don't believe they are meteorites.
    Read and do all the at home tests listed here.
    Meteorite Home Tests

I hope it is the real deal for you!

Mike

Sep 2019
    2 times
    The tests I did so far are these. Magnetic test, and all 3 are magnetic with the smaller ones being stronger. Streak test and Density test find attached. And my brother who works in a lab will be testing for Nickel and Iron tomorrow also. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20190918-WA0013.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	553.5 KB 
ID:	1754197Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190918_165429.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	4.75 MB 
ID:	1754198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190918_170708.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	5.19 MB 
ID:	1754195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190918_170708.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	5.19 MB 
ID:	1754195

Feb 2006
    1541 times
    The items shown have no visible characteristics of meteorites. Attraction to a magnet is meaningless by itself, as many rocks have sufficient iron to do so. I find that streak tests and specific gravity tests to also hold little meaning. Again due to many rocks showing similar results. Nickel tests, while evidentiary, are not proof. My part of the Pacific Northwest has many areas where much of the country rock and river cobble will test positive for nickel.

If you believe you may still have a meteorite, please have it evaluated by a qualified professional. Be advised, I know of no organization, be they a university, museum, or private party, that provides a definitive evaluation for free.

When I did lapidary, I would cut slices from rocks people brought me, thinking they were meteorites. After proper polishing and etching with dilute nitric acid, of the many hundreds of rocks I sliced for others, less than a handful displayed the telltale widmanstatten pattern typical of nearly all iron/nickel containing meteorites. I charged $5-$20, depending on size.

Time for more coffee.
    alan m likes this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    5282 times
    Quote Originally Posted by galenrog View Post
    The items shown have no visible characteristics of meteorites. Attraction to a magnet is meaningless by itself, as many rocks have sufficient iron to do so. I find that streak tests and specific gravity tests to also hold little meaning. Again due to many rocks showing similar results. Nickel tests, while evidentiary, are not proof. My part of the Pacific Northwest has many areas where much of the country rock and river cobble will test positive for nickel.

If you believe you may still have a meteorite, please have it evaluated by a qualified professional. Be advised, I know of no organization, be they a university, museum, or private party, that provides a definitive evaluation for free.

When I did lapidary, I would cut slices from rocks people brought me, thinking they were meteorites. After proper polishing and etching with dilute nitric acid, of the many hundreds of rocks I sliced for others, less than a handful displayed the telltale widmanstatten pattern typical of nearly all iron/nickel containing meteorites. I charged $5-$20, depending on size.

Time for more coffee.
    dang thats a generous price! as for someone who understands how long it actually takes to properly polish something...raise your prices!

Feb 2006
    1541 times
    All I needed to do was slice off a piece that would give me a few square inches of flat. Less than 10 minutes start to finish. Very little wear on saw, grinders, and polishers. Nitric was very cheap back then, too.

Sponsored Links