I found this last week..tested it.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree27Likes
  • 3 Post By JSparrow
  • 2 Post By chub
  • 2 Post By JSparrow
  • 3 Post By Red-Coat
  • 1 Post By GoldieLocks
  • 1 Post By JSparrow
  • 1 Post By Red-Coat
  • 1 Post By rook3434
  • 5 Post By galenrog
  • 2 Post By wilcam47
  • 4 Post By SnowDigger
  • 2 Post By whistler84

Thread: I found this last week..tested it.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1

    Jan 2020
    5
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    I found this last week..tested it.

    I found this in a ditch by a tall dirt wall created by erosion. Way out in rural southeast Alabama far from anywhere. I was hunting for arrowheads. I found a broken one and some petrified wood that fell out of the earth overtime and into the ditch where water washed down a hill. I saw this and thought it looked odd l..it was covered in mud but I took it home and washed it off. It weighs about 75 g. I haven't filed it because I don't have a file. Matches meteorites I've seen perfectly. Opinions? ATTACH=CONFIG]1791495[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_20_21_55_Pro.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	424.2 KB 
ID:	1791496Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_20_21_23_Pro.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	458.1 KB 
ID:	1791497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200118_125341.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1,011.9 KB 
ID:	1791498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_18_06_39_Pro.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	556.9 KB 
ID:	1791499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_18_06_22_Pro.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	608.5 KB 
ID:	1791500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_18_06_04_Pro.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	662.5 KB 
ID:	1791501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_18_05_39_Pro.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	605.5 KB 
ID:	1791502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_18_03_51_Pro.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	487.4 KB 
ID:	1791506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_18_02_43_Pro.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	422.7 KB 
ID:	1791507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_18_02_04_Pro.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	560.8 KB 
ID:	1791508Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_18_02_00_Pro.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	575.0 KB 
ID:	1791509
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_20_22_33_Pro.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	451.4 KB 
ID:	1791495  
    A2coins, Hobbs. and SnowDigger like this.

  2. #2

    Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    1,163
    1652 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    What size is it? Is it magnetic? Good pics.

    Chub
    A2coins and Hobbs. like this.

  3. #3

    Jan 2020
    5
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by chub View Post
    What size is it? Is it magnetic? Good pics.

    Chub
    Yes, it moves a magnet but the thhe magnet doesn't stick to it. It pulls it though, I only have a weak magnet. It's just over 2 in. wide.
    A2coins and Hobbs. like this.

  4. #4
    gb
    Dec 2019
    Surrey
    524
    1386 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    When considering whether an item might be a meteorite, you firstly have to consider what type of meteorite it might be, and then apply appropriate tests to confirm or otherwise. Not all meteorites have the same appearance or properties.

    I expect when you were looking at web pictures, you were looking at "Iron" meteorites. Your rock does have a superficial resemblance to weathered specimens in that class and its sub-classifications. However, they're composed principally of metallic iron plus some nickel and are always strongly attracted to a magnet (although that of course is not a definitive diagnostic since many terrestrial materials have similar magnetic properties).

    For it to have such weak attraction to a magnet, it would have to be a "Stony" meteorite. Those also usually have moderate to strong magnetic properties since they often contain significant amounts of metallic iron, so it would have to be either a very low metal chondrite or an achondrite without metallic veins. It doesn't have the surface appearance of any of those classes.

  5. #5
    us
    The Creative Psychic

    Dec 2019
    Gypsy
    *Still In research stages before purchase*
    214
    231 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm confused, are you ruling out the idea that it's just petrified wood?
    Hobbs. likes this.

  6. #6

    Jan 2020
    5
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Red-Coat View Post
    When considering whether an item might be a meteorite, you firstly have to consider what type of meteorite it might be, and then apply appropriate tests to confirm or otherwise. Not all meteorites have the same appearance or properties.

    I expect when you were looking at web pictures, you were looking at "Iron" meteorites. Your rock does have a superficial resemblance to weathered specimens in that class and its sub-classifications. However, they're composed principally of metallic iron plus some nickel and are always strongly attracted to a magnet (although that of course is not a definitive diagnostic since many terrestrial materials have similar magnetic properties).

    For it to have such weak attraction to a magnet, it would have to be a "Stony" meteorite. Those also usually have moderate to strong magnetic properties since they often contain significant amounts of metallic iron, so it would have to be either a very low metal chondrite or an achondrite without metallic veins. It doesn't have the surface appearance of any of those classes.
    Thank you for your in depth reply. I actually have been studying this rock obsessively since I found it. I've compared it to every classified and unclassified meteorite type that I've found. It looks very much like a stony-iron meteorite from the meteorite exchange website. It also looks very similar to some examples I've seen of carbonaceous chondrite. I really need to get a file. The magnet I have barely keeps a piece of paper on the refrigerator.
    Hobbs. likes this.

  7. #7

    Jan 2020
    5
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldieLocks View Post
    I'm confused, are you ruling out the idea that it's just petrified wood?
    What are you confused about? Its absolutely NOT petrified wood and anyone who knows anything about petrified wood would never even be confused about that. I'm only mentioning the petrified wood because it's uncovered from being buried deep under ground by the erosion on that wall. I'm saying that it's possible that if this is a meteorite it could have been uncovered the same way and would explaine finding it where I did. I don't understand why some people assume everyone is ignorant. Be confused no more... there you go.

  8. #8
    gb
    Dec 2019
    Surrey
    524
    1386 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by JSparrow View Post
    Thank you for your in depth reply. I actually have been studying this rock obsessively since I found it. I've compared it to every classified and unclassified meteorite type that I've found. It looks very much like a stony-iron meteorite from the meteorite exchange website. It also looks very similar to some examples I've seen of carbonaceous chondrite. I really need to get a file. The magnet I have barely keeps a piece of paper on the refrigerator.
    First off you need a better magnet!

    Please take a look at the pictures of hematite nodules at this link and then tell me you have something which looks less like some of those specimens and more like the meteorite pictures you found.

    iron-oxide concretions and nodules

    Better still, please post links to pictures you’ve seen on the web of a stony iron which you think your rock "looks very much like" or a carbonaceous chondrite which is "very similar" to it (a bit of a shift from your original statement that it "matches meteorites I've found perfectly", incidentally).

    As you say, there’s nothing to suggest its petrified wood but everything to suggest its hematite or some other terrestrial iron-rich material. Sometimes, we don’t bother to classify these rocks and just generically refer to them as “ironstone” because they may be a complex containing one or more of any of the following: iron oxides (limonite, hematite or magnetite) iron carbonates (siderite) or iron silicates (chamosite). Whether or not they are magnetic depends both on the form in which the iron mineral was originally present and also the degree to which it has chemically altered due to weathering. That also affects the colour. Hematite can be black through brown to red depending on the oxidation state of the iron but most impure mineral iron-rich rocks usually have at least some typical ‘rusty’ colouration from weathering.

    Most iron minerals are non-magnetic, with magnetite being the notable exception. When other iron minerals such as hematite are found to be magnetic it’s almost always because they are impure and have at least some magnetite present as an accessory mineral.
    Hobbs. likes this.

  9. #9
    Charter Member
    us
    Rook

    Nov 2013
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    17,964
    63262 times
    Cache Hunting
    The purple arrow is Purdy cool. Have you hit it with a hammer yet?
    Hobbs. likes this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

  10. #10

    Feb 2006
    1,469
    1541 times
    Everyone seems to want their “special” rock to be a meteorite.

    “It’s magnetic!” So is much of the rock in my driveway. And I know which quarry it came from.

    ”I filed away a corner and found metal!” I can do that with about one in ten rocks picked up from the river a half mile from the house.

    When I did lapidary, I cut thousands of rocks. Many were cut, with those cuts subsequently polished and etched with dilute nitric acid. In less than a handful of instances did anything resembling a widmanstatten pattern show itself. Only two were later positively identified by certified meteorite labs. I charged $25 for this service. I was called a liar and thief more often than I care to remember.

    “But I compared my rock to pictures online!” Ok. You have comparable superficial visual characteristics. Compare what you can objectively measure with what you found online at a certified meteorite lab. Do this enough, and you come to a conclusion comparable to that of Red-Coat.

    Get some handbooks. Visit websites of certified meteorite labs. Read. Read again. Study. Take notes. Learn.

    Time for more coffee.

  11. #11

    Jan 2020
    5
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by galenrog View Post
    Everyone seems to want their “special” rock to be a meteorite.

    “It’s magnetic!” So is much of the rock in my driveway. And I know which quarry it came from.

    ”I filed away a corner and found metal!” I can do that with about one in ten rocks picked up from the river a half mile from the house.

    When I did lapidary, I cut thousands of rocks. Many were cut, with those cuts subsequently polished and etched with dilute nitric acid. In less than a handful of instances did anything resembling a widmanstatten pattern show itself. Only two were later positively identified by certified meteorite labs. I charged $25 for this service. I was called a liar and thief more often than I care to remember.

    “But I compared my rock to pictures online!” Ok. You have comparable superficial visual characteristics. Compare what you can objectively measure with what you found online at a certified meteorite lab. Do this enough, and you come to a conclusion comparable to that of Red-Coat.

    Get some handbooks. Visit websites of certified meteorite labs. Read. Read again. Study. Take notes. Learn.

    Time for more coffee.
    What's your ****ing problem? I didnt say it was definitely a God damn meteorite. You don't know ****. You only come to this forum to be a ass hole. I've read comments from you on ever single post. Go drink so ****ing coffee and get a new hobbie. I have been trying to determine if it is or is not and I've read a **** load of web pages and looked in books. I'm not a idiot. I hate people like you. So arrogant. I can very easily show the meteorites I'm comparing this to. Maybe you need to look for yourself because if you know what you were talking about then you'd know exactly which ones I'm referring to.

  12. #12
    us
    Dec 2019
    Idaho
    171
    295 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by JSparrow View Post
    I found this in a ditch by a tall dirt wall created by erosion. Way out in rural southeast Alabama far from anywhere. I was hunting for arrowheads. I found a broken one and some petrified wood that fell out of the earth overtime and into the ditch where water washed down a hill. I saw this and thought it looked odd l..it was covered in mud but I took it home and washed it off. It weighs about 75 g. I haven't filed it because I don't have a file. Matches meteorites I've seen perfectly. Opinions? ATTACH=CONFIG]1791495[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_20_21_55_Pro.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	424.2 KB 
ID:	1791496Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_20_21_23_Pro.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	458.1 KB 
ID:	1791497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200118_125341.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1,011.9 KB 
ID:	1791498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_18_06_39_Pro.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	556.9 KB 
ID:	1791499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_18_06_22_Pro.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	608.5 KB 
ID:	1791500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_18_06_04_Pro.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	662.5 KB 
ID:	1791501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_18_05_39_Pro.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	605.5 KB 
ID:	1791502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_18_03_51_Pro.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	487.4 KB 
ID:	1791506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_18_02_43_Pro.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	422.7 KB 
ID:	1791507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_18_02_04_Pro.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	560.8 KB 
ID:	1791508Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200117_18_02_00_Pro.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	575.0 KB 
ID:	1791509
    Question you need to ask. Is or has there been a documented meteor strike where you found it. Not saying its impossible but reallly unlikely you just happen to find a meteor that erroded out of the ground. Its cool looking and it would be very cool if it is, but think of the odds...are you really that luckyif so you should go buy some lotto tickets. Getting pissed becaused some one gave their opinion is really not worth the aggravation. If you realky think its a meteor send it off to get verified. Asking an open forum is really stupid if you cant take the responses.
    DizzyDigger and Hobbs. like this.

  13. #13
    us
    Jan 2019
    Michigan
    Nokta FORS CoRe Nokta Makro Anfibio Multi
    46
    76 times
    Metal Detecting
    I thought I had possibly found a meteorite earlier this year, and found this site helpful:
    https://geology.com/meteorites/meteo...fication.shtml
    You might have already been there, but if not, it was pretty good, even though it turns out mine wasn't a meteorite. I found the info on Regmaglypts (kind of like fingerprints on meteorites) and the fact that there are no vesicles on meteorites very useful. Hope that might help your ID-ing!

  14. #14

    Jun 2015
    126
    218 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Next up, on the Young and The Restless....
    wilcam47 and TJE like this.

 

 

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. This is why you get your ore tested
    By Mad Machinist in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: Sep 02, 2019, 03:21 PM
  2. Just tested my ace 250
    By ywevis in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr 06, 2013, 11:14 PM
  3. Im Being Tested
    By hvacker in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Mar 23, 2013, 08:13 PM
  4. Found the Big Sister to a seated quarter found last week
    By t-bucket in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: Jun 25, 2008, 06:12 AM
  5. Tested the CZ,,, Ok!!!
    By Leon in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jul 24, 2005, 03:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0