CW3

Greenie
Nov 21, 2016
Traverse City,Mi
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, ETRAC, Excaliber II (2), Soverign GT, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I got a recovery call to find a possible Meteorite in northern Michigan.

The story is the grounds keeper found the Meteorite. He showed a person at the location for a party. The person that saw it told him "thats the most beautiful thing I've ever seen and needs to be in a museum". The grounds keeper told him this is my retirement I'm going to bury it till the property owner passes away. The grounds keeper passes away of a sudden heart attach first. The person who saw it waited 5 years to tell the property owner about it because he felt bad for not telling right away. He looked for it without finding it. Then I get called in.

My question is what are the chances of this being a real Meteorite. The description i have from the person who saw it is 24" by 8". Black melted looking outside with swirl marks. Weights over 100 lbs. It was on a waist high table and he could not pick it up off the table. I've looked for 3 days cannot find it yet. Just wondering how much time to put in before giving up. I negotiated 20 percent of selling price if I can find it, so a possible huge reward is possible. I'm trying to work with the person who saw the Meteorite to get me a picture off the internet on what he saw.

Any opinions?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
First, without any evidence, the likelihood of the item being a meteorite is extremely low.

Second, whether or not it is a meteorite, if it has a high iron or nickel content, it metal detector may be of help in finding it. All metal mode. Zero discrimination. You will have to dig every large target. Be aware that people used to bury all manner of things, including steel drums and cars. Have fun.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
C

CW3

Greenie
Nov 21, 2016
Traverse City,Mi
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, ETRAC, Excaliber II (2), Soverign GT, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My research has shown the chances of it being real are about 1%. The lady who called me should be lucky I'm a dreamer. I will keep looking just to see what it looks like if I can find it.

I'm primarily using a Fisher FX-3. I can cover ground faster and get deeper that a regular detector. Or, I have a Fisher 2 box Gemini 3.

Thanks for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread