Another Meteorite question.......

A

aquabob

Hello all,

I didn't get any responses to my other post. Could someone please tell me where I could go to get my meteorite identified? I have read most of the posts that try to help you determine if it is a meteorite, however, I have not been able to positively identify it. My daughters science teacher took it, and it dissapeared for 6 months, I finally got it back, all he said was that it was a meteorite. App. 10 years ago, I was small game hunting in a cut cornfield. While walking along, I looked down, and saw a depression in the mud, app. 6 inches across, and app. 3 inches deep. In the center of the depression, was what I thought at first glance, a "mini" cannonball. This is ALMOST perfectly round, quite heavy for it's size. It DOES NOT set my metal detector off, It DOES NOT affect a compass, and DOES NOT make a mark on the underside of a toilet seat!

It appears to be stone of some type, and app. 3 times the size of a .50 cal. musket ball. It has the "finger print" striations on the surface, and is a brownish/red color. The reason I think it is a meteorite, is the fact that I found it in good size depression, so it obviously fell from the sky somehow!!

I have a digital camera, and can take photo's of it, but I have not figured out how to post pictures on the forum yet. Is there anyone that would be willing to let me send them photo's of my find?? In all of the photo's of meteorites that I have looked at, I have not seen anything that closely resembles what I found. On one web site, they mention "Stone Meteorites", and that is what I think I may have, however, I could not find any photo's of "stone meteorites".

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you,

Bob

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
You can find out about meteorite and places to test them here.
Punch in meteorite testing labs in the USA and you should get a list of testing labs.
Mile High Meteorites is a place that sells meteorites and can give you lots of information on meteorites.
Meteorites plus..... They will look at it for you and also sell and deal with meteorites.
www.meteoritelab.com
www.meteorites.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread