Heavy Black Rock. PAGING RedCoat

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a rock we found many years ago in East Tx. It is shockingly heavy. It is also extremely hard. Takes the teeth off a hacksaw blade and barely makes a shiny spot. You can see a metallic shine and is only slightly magnetic.

It is about 4 inches cubed with most sides appearing to be broken from a larger item but at least one side shows to have been molten. mystery rock..maybe from space??? Did I say its heavy? I havent weighed it but seems as heavy as lead. The weight always shocks anyone that try's to pick it up.

All opinions welcome, not just Ol RedCoat.

Attachments

• Resized_20210711_151401.jpeg
    Resized_20210711_151401.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Resized_20210711_151333.jpeg
    Resized_20210711_151333.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 204
  • Resized_20210711_151320.jpeg
    Resized_20210711_151320.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Resized_20210711_151310.jpeg
    Resized_20210711_151310.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I don't know what it is, but it's not a meteorite. The general surface appearance could persuade one to think so based on comparison to pictures on the internet (of nickel-irons) but many of those pictures show specimens which have been cleaned and treated to eliminate rusting and improve their appearance for display. Those coming straight out of the ground don't look like that, whether old falls or freshly fallen.

To have the appearance as in your pictures in combination with most of your description of properties, it would have to be a nickel-iron type and therein lies the problem. All of those types are highly magnetic. No exceptions to the rule. If meteorites are visibly essentially metallic, they always have strong attraction to a magnet.

jcc

Nov 15, 2018
Portage, MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TR550-D
Primary Interest:
Other
Out of curiosity, how do you test for vanadium or titanium? Yes, I know the would normally be trace found with iron....

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I don't know what it is, but it's not a meteorite. The general surface appearance could persuade one to think so based on comparison to pictures on the internet (of nickel-irons) but many of those pictures show specimens which have been cleaned and treated to eliminate rusting and improve their appearance for display. Those coming straight out of the ground don't look like that, whether old falls or freshly fallen.

To have the appearance as in your pictures in combination with most of your description of properties, it would have to be a nickel-iron type and therein lies the problem. All of those types are highly magnetic. No exceptions to the rule. If meteorites are visibly essentially metallic, they always have strong attraction to a magnet.

Interesting. I have had it on the mantle for 30ish years. No change. Had dirt on it when. Found but washed off pretty good . Zero rust.

DoubleManFlats

Jul 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hold on to it! Bring it to your University geology lab! Looks like one to me...

DoubleManFlats

Jul 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They tend to blow up in the atmosphere flow Marks and pitting from the wind aren't going to show on the whole thing.

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Your rock has no visual characteristics of meteorites. Neither does your description. My part of western Oregon is littered with basalt and other similar looking rock that ranges from not magnetic to highly magnetic. Much of that is heavier than other local rock. Becoming informed on local geology could go a long way toward identifying what type of rock you have.

Time for more coffee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread