• rock.JPG
    rock.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,113
  • rock1.JPG
    rock1.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,087
M

mattjd

It looks like lead. Get a butterknife and hack at it a few times. If it leaves slashes then it's lead.

Matt

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Ok heres the drill. We get a lot of meteorite wrongs here. Most common- magnetite (an iron oxide) that streaks gray on a streak plate(or porcelain on toilet back)- it is strongly attracted to a magnet. Hematite(also iron oxide when heated will be magnetic too and has a red streak.
Now your specimen is interesting because of that black material which almost looks like fusion crust. I can't tell you what to do only what I would do- I would crack it into two and post a photo of a fresh surface. The specimen is badly weathered.

George

D

don Lupe

don lupe here; Gee-whizz, looks like a meteorite to me.. Check it out for "Chrondite" It's ugly so cuting it in half or a slice can only improve it's appearence.. Do it yourself? not impossible, read up on how to prepare and apply the acid to the cut surfice, Chrondites are neat! Little chondles of peblebly rocks imbeded in a solid dense matrix...Learn to mount and display your treasure...

D

don Lupe

99; don lupe here again..Thought about it and feel that I should impart a bit more information about your Meteorite..When & if you cut it, be sure to be very careful not to scar the surfice in any way.. do not clean it. Do nothing except make your cut and protect the stone from clamp damage with leather scraps.. use power pipe cutter,( High School shop or plumbers shop) Haag uses diamond blade Chop-Saw, don't try it! Maybe etch-clean and polish. mount on plastic stands like Haag does..Collectors like to know where it was found and how.. Like "The Willamitte" from Oregon or "The Allende" from Chihuahua Mexico.. Not exact locations. Be careful of anyone inquireing exact location. the ownership question has never been resolved..Basta

OP
OP
T

terminal99

Greenie
Apr 22, 2005
Maryland
Hi Don Lupe, Thanks for the reply. Who or what is Haag? I've learned much about meteorites since finding this. It's a very interesting topic.

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
I have a few interesting rocks I found while working three huge fields.One is the size of a nickle and is brownish colored and has small round Orange/reddish rocks that look like bird seed kind of meteallic too.The rock is real magnetic and is the only one I found about 1/4 of an inch in the ground.The second rock I found in a 500 acre Field,it is magnetic slightly,is heavy and is very different then all the rocks I have found.It kind of shaped like a big tooth.It kind of reminds me of chewed up plastic or a tooth that had rotten spots that is now turned into ancient stuff like wood from millions of years ago ..can't think of the word!The brown rock I have not seen anything like it anywhere.I have a lot of rocks all magnetic and some that ring on nickle and sliver..Does anyone know how I can make my own saw for cutting?

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
terminal99 said:
Hi Don Lupe, Thanks for the reply. Who or what is Haag? I've learned much about meteorites since finding this. It's a very interesting topic.
Robert Haag is a famous meteorite hunter and the reason I got back into metal detecting(although I'm not actively searching for meteorites at the moment) here is a link to his site:
http://www.meteoriteman.com/ HH omnicognic? 8)

D

don Lupe

99; you got it.. Robert Haag is on the web, just spell his name..Have you cut the stone yet? Have a rock-shop do it., pay the price and do not make deals with your stone.. Keep it safe!! Avoid commercial dealer, you always lose..forget museums and 'experts' become one yourself..colleges, university, are self serving at best, you loose again.. I try to be realalistic and pass on only good info.. real knowlege is the only thing that works for me..and I'm good at it. don Lupe Alegria.

T

treasuretrapper

I found an M in this tree in my back yard........ last night i saaw this blue bright lght outside my window and i went out there this morning and there it was! i rock about the size of a baseball was in my kids favorite climbing tree! kool, huh?

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
Terminal 99.

Could be just a chunk of magnetite

Try this--- which has worked for me. Take a good-quality hand file and file a small flat spot down through
the oxidized crust, then use a good 10X loupe to see and specks of "silvery-looking metal; particles of nickel
and iron. (Looking outside in the daylight may be best)

Be patient in your filing and push foreward but lift the file on the backstroke. If it is a common chondrite (a stone) it is easily confused with a hematite or magnetite terrestrial rock so also try what George (Bakergeol)
suggests.

T

treasuretrapper

Sounds good to me so thanx for the help... I think that my son want to keep it like it is though and unless its really valueable than i think that i will let him....
Thanx again!
~Treasuretrapper

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
LOL, I guess you haven't read about the possible value of meteroites eh ? If it is a rare stoney-iron, it can be worth more than gold per ounce. The Iron meteorties aren't worth much (as in let you retire much), but the rare Pallasite can be worth quite the small fortune. Do a web search on the Milton Pallisite and you will see what I mean.

T

treasuretrapper

Ok sounds good to me. I had it checked out and its not really valueable so i do think that i will let him keep it.
Thanx anywy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread