laws

E

el_gral

Hi, im also from MN and in my own experience ive never had a problem taking a Metal Detector to Mexico, I usually drive or even on a few occasions Ive taken a Bus down there. Ive never flown in with a Metal Detector so I dont know if that would make a difference but usually I just get a few questions about where I plan on using it and soforth but its always been ok.

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
I just got back from Mexico yesterday and packed it in my suitcase (check on luggage). I had no problemos. I even had that checked by hand in Mexico and I had to tell them it was a metal detector. He looked at me with that I don't know what the heck you said look. So I moved my arm back and forth saying beep beep. He smiled and looked at the supervisor, and I went on through. No problems on the beaches either, in fact several people came up say what they lost the other day. There is alot out there, pick it up!

I'll post my finds later tonite on the today's find section ... it's my best find so far!

Rumblebelly

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Star,

I flew down to Mexico last December and did not have any problems. I had the detector in a hard case that I checked. I also ran into a guy from the states that goes down to detect every few months so I don't think it is illegal. I found two gold rings, a silver ring, lots of Pesos and foreign coins. The coins alone paid for the taxis into town and some shopping.

I was in the resort section where there are 15 to 20 resorts right in a row. I was only asked once not to detect by one of the resorts so I said no problem then moved onto the next. I used a Whites 1280X which is great in dry sand but lots of false signals in wet. Considering what I found in only 3 or 4 hours in the dry sand there is alot down there. I was on my honeymoon so I did not want to leave the new wife too long but I'm going back in February with more then a year of marriage under my belt so she maybe sunbathing alone a little more.

I'm looking to purchase a new detector before then to get into the water where I'm sure the bulk of the jewelry is located. By the way get ready for a ton of questions and people taking your picture or filming you. I always take a few moments to speak with anyone that has questions about the hobby what made it difficult was the language barrier. I actually had one European woman take her watch off and toss it into the sand. I unplugged the headphones so she could hear the beep then bent over picked up the watch and placed it in my pouch. This produced a large laugh from her friends before I returned the watch.

Good luck on your trip and make sure you post your finds.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread