Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    1948 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: To the idiot who -

If the person don't fill their hole's back in, I doubt they would have any idea this site exists.
    This is very true. If they did read about someone leaving a mess they wouldn't think it meant them. If I see anyone intentionally leaving plugs out and trash laying around like that I would report them to the park manager with photos, car license plate and ask for a bounty brought in dead.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

May 2005
    19 times

-The more folks that get into the hobby,
    the more slobs your going to have.

-The more folks that get into the hobby,
    the more areas will be placed off limits.

When I leave an area, you cannot tell I was there.

all have a good un...
    SHERMANVILLE
    In the academies many books, at the circus many sacks of peanuts, at the club rooms many cigar butts.

us
    Jan 2008
    Black Hills of South Dakota
    Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
    67 times

When I leave an area, you cannot tell I was there

Same here. We even make sure the grass in the sod is facing in the exact right position. (as it was growing).

When we were in Pa, we had someone (don't know who) who left their holes all the time. He must not have been a good md-er, though.

Before you fill in his holes - pass your detector over it - cause this guy must have been impatient - found several coins in his open holes (along with trash, too). We picked the coins, disposed of the trash (I mean, who wants to detect trash - especially for a second time), and filled his holes.

That kind of irresponsibility is why we get a bad name. We have actually gotten a few "attaboys", when people have seen us take the garbage out of an area - we don't need another slob.

B
    "Irony is the rule"

us
    May 2006
    Michigan
    Ace 250
    1 times

Strolling through and read this, talked to a maintenance man this summer (2010), he said they have been asking all md's to leave JPS property. Don't know if this is school policy or just the lawn guys being po'd. I have a pretty good idea who did it, don't know his name though, but I've cleaned up behind him before.

Too bad, hate to hear about this stuff, even though I don't detect the schools.

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    987 times
    silver surfing

Quote Originally Posted by jadeblackhawk
    Strolling through and read this, talked to a maintenance man this summer (2010), he said they have been asking all md's to leave JPS property. Don't know if this is school policy or just the lawn guys being po'd. I have a pretty good idea who did it, don't know his name though, but I've cleaned up behind him before.

Too bad, hate to hear about this stuff, even though I don't detect the schools.
    I've seen the damage those lawn guys do. Scalping, burns, and gouging. The zero-turn mowers are the worst, I know because I own one. I'm not defending careless diggers. The big mowers will rip a plug right out of the ground. I'm careful when I dig park property, but have been accused of leaving piles of dirt where I've hunted, when in fact it was ground moles. What a mess those animals make!

us
    May 2006
    Michigan
    Ace 250
    1 times

The golfers are terrible too. They leave bad wedges from hitting those balls, but no one ever blames them.

The park I went to this week looked like a minefield in places from those moles! Little dirt volcanoes everywhere.

Short fat and bald

Dec 2007
    Parma MI
    M6 and DFX and now a E-Trac
    22 times
    Metal Detecting

This person apparently goes to Wolf Lake too. It is not squirrels either. He leaves dirt outside the hole and the garbage he does not want along with the plug. Cascades Hill was in horrible shape also.

us
    Jan 2008
    67 times

I wonder if these "dum-dum" folks realize what they are doing.

If nothing else - I take ALL my garbage (and any other I find) - for a selfish reason - I don't want to find it again in the future. I mean, duh.

And, we not only fill our own holes (coin "popping" doesn't always work-since we find more than just coins), but we have, on many occasions, filled other people's holes.

And, we have actually had people say things like "oh - I'm so glad that you are cleaning up the area at the same time" - people notice, if if you
    don't think they do. They also notice the stuff that is bad. We fill other people's holes because WE want to be able to come back to an area.

I mean - just a little common sense goes a long way. I guess "common sense" is not all that "common"

Beth
    "Irony is the rule"

us
    May 2006
    Michigan
    Ace 250
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by seatedhalf
    This person apparently goes to Wolf Lake too. It is not squirrels either. He leaves dirt outside the hole and the garbage he does not want along with the plug. Cascades Hill was in horrible shape also.
    Maybe with all the garbage he won't go back to Cascades. I never detect the hill, I leave that to the people with far more patience than me.

Haven't been to Wolf Lake in a long time, with gas as high as it is. Found my first Barber quarter in the lake there.

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    987 times
    silver surfing

Quote Originally Posted by jadeblackhawk
    Quote Originally Posted by seatedhalf
    Maybe with all the garbage he won't go back to Cascades. I never detect the hill, I leave that to the people with far more patience than me.

Haven't been to Wolf Lake in a long time, with gas as high as it is. Found my first Barber quarter in the lake there.
    I've hit Cascades several times. The best I've ever done was a wheatie or two. I just don't get it.
    I remember the Jackson Cit Pat doing an article about a detectorist who hunted the Cascades...must of been back in the late '70's, early 80's. He displayed a nice IH penny he found there...

us
    Oct 2010
    Tesoro Cibola
    22 times

I always fill & groom that is just the way, otherwise its just disrespectful.

Jun 2008

yes yes

us
    Jul 2010
    Michigan
    2 Garrett AT Pro
    146 times

When I leave it's just like it should be less trash and no holes, I just can't believe that people don't take the time to fill hole and then again I do Good hunting.
    ROB

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    987 times
    silver surfing

I was at Sharp park yesterday, it looked like a battleground. Sod chunks laying everywhere, and hundreds of holes. I saw the culprits! Dudes practicing their golf swings...and divots EVERYWHERE!

us
    Jan 2008
    67 times

fistfulladirt,

That's one of those things that nobody wants to talk about. It amazes me (it shouldn't) that in many places, people practice their swings, heck, we find golf balls all over the place - but - that's ok, because golf is a money-making "sport". Sponsors make money, golfers make money, advertisers make money, television stations make money - so, its ok. In fact, more "natural land" has been made into golf courses and ski lodges than anything WE have ever had access to. They don't care about the environment, or the endangered species, or if animals can get to water, when it involves golf and skiing.

But, then again, those environmentalists quite often have golf and skiing weekends, don't they

Beth
    "Irony is the rule"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors