New to the Hobby

R

RevSpongeBobSP

Hello,

I am thinking of getting a detector, I am looking at the Whites Classic 5ID and the Titan 3000-XD. I am thinking that I will be going with the Titan as the pricing is real close and the warranty is a lot better, just hope I never need to use it!

I live in Central Michigan between Mt Pleasant and Big Rapids and hope to hit the beaches now and then and the playgrounds. I will spend some practice time in the yard here on the farm locating all the forks my kids have "lost" over the years, and my tools. I figure if I find 3 forks, I will have made money as the last two I found with the truck and the quad cost me about $250.

Well anyhow, hello and good digging!

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i have the discovery3300 which is basically the same as the titan and have used the classic id and idx pro, the titan will give you more info on screen but is kind of a pain to set the ground balance, the classic id has fast audio responce, very well built, easy to pinpoint, i think you would be happier with the id. Have you checked out the ace 250, which is a good machine with a better price.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey RevSpongeBob, you live where I used to run around with the girls from Central and Ferris. Thompy is right about the ACE 250 being better than any of them you mentioned. The warranty on the Titan states it only applies to manufacturer's defects, not something that wears out or you break. So you may as well spend less money to get a detector from a solid company like Garrett, Whites, Tesoro or Minelab. By the way, Tesoro warranties are for a lifetime.

Welcome to the hobby and forum.

Sandman

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us. This is a great site with a lot of great people. Although I have never used the 3 machines that you are considering, I have heard great things and have seen great finds (posted here on TNet) from the Ace 250. Good luck with your decision and we look forward to your finds.

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
RSB...Welcome fellow Michigander.Havent used a Titan but I do have a ClassicIDXSL (Earlier version of the Classic5).Of my 4 detectors, it is my money maker \ wouldnt trade it.It is lightwieght and has accurate discrimination and pinpoint.You can run it as hot as you like.It hits on fine targets and loves shallow water.After becoming acquainted, one finds it gives all of the information you need.I can tell deep from shallow through signal strength.I can tell a Wheat from an indian from a zinc, as well as silver dimes from clad.Its all a matter of recognizing the subtle differences in the audio and visual responses.
Good luck either way and welcome again.....Joe

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome, I am also new and have the ace 250 and not only is it easy to use, its lightweight, and affordable. I am actually finding clad and objects, while leaving the pull tabs alone. Good Luck

OP
OP
R

RevSpongeBobSP

I live near Blanchard and Remus area.

I ended up with the Garrett, the 250. Got it the very day the temps dropped and froze the ground rock solid! I am getting my ice fishing gear out this weekend and putting the new detector in the closet so the ground will thaw. :D ;D

Thanks for the warm welcomes and sorry for the delay in responding.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread