Looking for some help with a minelab explorer 2

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, recently I got a new ( used ) explorer 2, and I have some questions for somebody that also has one.
Anybody that is not a very long ways from the highland/milford area that I can talk to, that knows this machine, that would be great.
I am not intirely sure that the unit is functioning correctly, the issue I have is the threshold, as far as I know it is supposed to be a solid hum, well mine it cuts in and out and sounds like somebody tapping out morse code quickly.
Plus that it would be cool to meet a new hunter, my wife says I need patience, but I have never heard of a threshold that cuts in and out like that.
Thanks

Mike

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How high do you run your sensitivity? I've used Explorers since they first came out and currently use an Explorer II with 6x8 and 10x12 S.E.F. (Semi-Elliptical Field) coils. If you are running your sensitivity high on semi-auto it's going to sound like crap in a lot of soil conditions. I almost never run my sensitivity in semi. I usually run it in manual and only turn it up high enough that I either have a steady threshold tone, or it becomes just a tiny bit choppy when I swing. You also need to swing slooooow. You don't need to run the sensitivity all the way up to 32 all of the time. The Explorer's pretty powerful. I once dug an Indian Head past 9" and my sensitivity was only set to 8 at the time. If this doesn't help then there probably IS a problem with your machine and you'll need to contact Minelab.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I run the same setup as SgtSki, I also only run manual sens and almost unaudible threshold. Choppy threshold does not sound normal, should be steady. Check your coil connections also. I had an issue with my inline probe and ended up removing it. Remember most Explorer II models are becoming dated, but they have a great reliability record. Good luck.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well not sure what's what at this point, emi seems to make it unusable in say the suburbs, even with the sensitivity set to zero it goes crazy, could be all the WiFi routers and Whatnots, but I just don't know at this point, meaning the cursor bounces all over the place. But it is stable in not so busy areas, maybe there is a way to reduce how badly emi affects the machine, otherwise into the closet it goes.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread