Kent County Park Rules

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Hey Gang,

I've been metal detecting in and around Grand Rapids since April of this year. Today I was in Johnson Park (out by Millenium Park) and a Park Ranger told me that there is no metal detecting allowed in any county park. I asked, "Even in wood chips?" "Nowhere except the beach at Millenium after the summer swim season is over."

I looked up the rules after I got home, the rules are somewhat vague...I think they did that intentionally.

Section 7. Preservation of Natural Features (I don't believe wood chips on playgrounds are natural features)

a. It shall be unlawful for any person to damage, cut, carve, mark, transplant, destroy, or remove any plant, injure or remove any bark or wood, pick flowers or harvest seed of of any tree or plant, dig in or otherwise disturb or remove soil, sand, grass, rock, minerals, fossils, stones, metals, artifacts, ground cover, or other surface or subsurface materials, excavate any natural feature by tool, equipment or explosive, or in any way injure the natural features of any area in a County park. This section does not apply to the picking or removal of edible mushrooms, berries, fruits, or nuts.

A violation of any of the following sections of this Ordinance shall constitute a misdemeanor, and shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $500 or imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or both.

7a and others.

This Ordinance does not say metal detecting in the playground wood chips is included. The Park ranger told me it was against the rules. I don't believe wood chips are a Natural Feature. I would suggest that if anyone is sited by the sheriff's department that they fight the ticket. I'm not a lawyer so don't take anything I say as being gospel. I will stay away from the county parks...they give a listing of the parks under their jurisdiction on their web site. I copied them down and suggest that you do as well...not all parks in Kent county are county parks; at least if the list they give is complete. Check the sign when you enter a park and make sure it doesn't say its a county park.

revdocmb

Greenie
Dec 23, 2007
:) Hello Everyone, I'm 'New' to MD'ing but I did talk to the Kent County Parks director about a week ago and he gave me the straight scoop. The county parks are open to metal detecting but Milenium Park is closed to metal detecting until season is over, which appear to be September. That's the way I understood it anyway.
By the way...can anyone tell me what's a good unit to start with as well as grow with? I'm considering White's M6, Ace 250, Fisher 1280X, and Garrett's Sea Hunter MkII. Maybe one for land use and one for water? Help!!!

OP
OP
Prober

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
If the County Parks Director says its OK to detect in the county parks then he needs to tell the Rangers...they are of the opinion that it isn't and there is a $500 fine if you get caught. He told me that I was lucky the sheriff's didn't catch me because they would have issued me a ticket & I would have to pay that fine...the meager finds in the county parks don't come anywhere near $500; as a matter of fact, the finds were lousy.

I would advise against risking the $500 ticket; if you know the director then I would suggest getting permission IN WRITING from him. Look at the rules on their web site, print them out and show them to the director because its obvious he is unaware of the rules.

revdocmb

Greenie
Dec 23, 2007
:) To be honest, I've considered spending upwards to $1,000, but I'd rather begin at a much lower start cost if possible. I've read a lot about Garrett's Ace 250 but not having tried it, I don't know if it's a good investment. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind spend the money to purchase the White M6 or the Fisher 1280X. That's why I've opened it up to all of you who have considerable experience in the hobby. Your advice would be........?
revdocmb

sandrailer

Dec 28, 2006
Durand, Mi.USA
Detector(s) used
fisher coinstrike
Revdocmb....not sure where your at but i would ; 1 Look on the Web for dealers near you for each of the manufactures you listed.
2 Go and check them out most dealers will let you turn them on and play with them.may have to go to several dealers as not all dealers carry each line
3 After checking them out you will have a better idea as to what one is right for you.
4 You cant go wrong with any of the big name co.(Fisher,Whites,Garret,Minelab,Tesoro)
They may all have what you want on paper but one might just feel right in your hand(you don't want to swing something that feels awkward or heavy all day
5 After you buy one don't look back have faith it might take some time to learn what you MD is telling you (I know i wanted to wrap mine around a tree more than once :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[) but when you learn what its telling you it will be a match made in heaven.lol ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Technically, the word 'ground cover' can include your woodchips, even though they were put there after the fact, .. note that it didn't say 'natural ground cover', but just 'ground cover'... Depending on if the judge got laid the night before or not might be the difference of a ticket or not.

Id ask the head honcho again and ask him for it in writing, BUT, the thing is, if you say, I want you to write that down for me, he might tell you to kiss off (in a politically correct way of course) that he's too busy to be jumping through hoops for the likes of you. BUT what I have done is pre typed up a letter saying, I bla bla have permission from bla bla to hunt the areas within borders bla bla bla...... nothing pages long, but a brief but specific, and explain to him, the rangers have been harrassing you and could he PLEASE be so kind as to sign that for you so next they come out you can show it to them and hopefully they won't bother you in doing the excellent job they do patrolling (yes major suckup alert). 9 out of ten times they will say yes, sign your letter and you are in the clear then....

There is no clear cut 'way' or 'reactive' way to handle that, the situation is so different every time, but there are a few things one can do to hopefully gain the permission and make life easier overall.

Aaron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread