Michigan hunters

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, yeh.

Though....What side of Mio ya meaning?

I actually play in a neighboring county, but Mio is about as far west as I go. Been collecting maps and whatnot of Oscoda for years too.

Last edited:

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a chance to take a quick look at the county today. What a desolate place, lol. Nothin but sand and Jackpine.

Just a couple heads up's.....

Forest fire season is coming on, be careful. City folk have damn near burnt my house down more than once.

Some of Oscoda county is state land, but a VAST majority of it is national forest. Detecting IS legal on both, but be familiar with the laws and rules of both. I don't see any of it as "grey area" it pretty well says what you cannot do.

Bottle hunting on state or federal land is actually illegal. I ain't makin no judgement on you, just stating the facts.

Kirtland's Warbler Management Areas, are closed to human activity from May 1, till August 15th.

I bet you'll be seein me around this summer. I'll be the shirtless, tattooed biker lookin guy in swim shorts and flip flops, with an Equinox and a 45.

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
My! People come and go so quickly here!

Picture-381.png

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
Joe t

Joe t

Sep 23, 2015
Warren Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett treasure ace 300 and a fisher goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks, I'm actually about 5 miles south of mio, I go up every chance I get.

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey....there ya are, lol.

With that bit of intel, I can find some detail. Gimme a few days.

I'll be by there this weekend, but more for bidness reasons. Be back the next 2 after that for fun. An old school and cemetery been in my sights since last year, and I wanna play before Warbler season.

OP
OP
Joe t

Joe t

Sep 23, 2015
Warren Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I m basically new to the area, I bought property there about 3 years ago, mostly working on the property, never had a chance to explore too much, but it would be cool to find old lumberjack camps or old home sites

OP
OP
Joe t

Joe t

Sep 23, 2015
Warren Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok cool, good luck

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I m basically new to the area, I bought property there about 3 years ago, mostly working on the property, never had a chance to explore too much, but it would be cool to find old lumberjack camps or old home sites

At one time there was a guy on Treasurenet named "Michigan Badger". All he dug was lumber camps. He hasn't posted for years. If you dig deep in the archives, you might find him.

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I looked at his posts. It looks like he came on strong back in 2005, posting a lot of finds from lumber camps. He seemed to fizzle our on the finds around 2009, and really just be a talked after that till his last post in 2012.

Looks like he was in the UP, "copper country" was about as close as I got to a location.

I'm afraid from the way it appears, he may have relocated to the Upper Room.

Winchester416

Feb 18, 2022
Hey....there ya are, lol.

With that bit of intel, I can find some detail. Gimme a few days.

I'll be by there this weekend, but more for bidness reasons. Be back the next 2 after that for fun. An old school and cemetery been in my sights since last year, and I wanna play before Warbler season.
Can you detect State land, or the Kirkland area?

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you detect State land, or the Kirkland area?
Here's some rules for the State Parks here...

I know you are asking about state land so I will keep looking. I know you can hunt on state land so you would think you could metal detect!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Winchester416

Feb 18, 2022
This mentions state land rules somewhat...
I mean I know Paris let you in parking lots and beach’s... Most do...

But I’m talking about way back in the woods... Even miles away from anything or anyone...

Can you detect on state land?

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Probably best to contact the DNR and ask.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread