Visit the Dealers

revdocmb

Greenie
Dec 23, 2007
8) Hello SandRailer,

Good advice! I've had the opportunity to visit Pro Stock, Inc. on M89 in Plainwell and speak to the owner Allan Holden. He's a 'White' man but he does
carry most of the ones you've listed. He has his favorites for a multitude of rea-
sons, that will become clearer to me in time.

Allan was kind enough to give me his undevided attention for about an hour or
so and give me the pro's & con's of the units he has in stock such as White's M6
and MXT as well as the Prizm V. He also showed me the Mindlab line he has in stock and a few of the Garrett's & Fisher's models.

Rider's Hobby Shop on 28th East was another of my stops, but, frankly, it was a waste of time in that they don't have much in stock to view ~ let alone try out for size.

I've done my homework on the Internet and have read everything I could find.
It's just as you mentioned though; many look good on paper but may not per-
form in the field. I've sent emails to a number of retailers asking their opinion,
but none of them have written back with the acception of Allen of Pro Stock. I
think time and rubbing elbows with the elite will help me make a decision on a
unit in the near future. At present I'm leaning toward the M6 because of what
it does and the cost involved, but I do like the MXT as well. The idea of hunt-
ing in water really peaks my interest and that's why the Fisher 1280X appeals to me. Of course the 1280X is a bit more money up front, but I do want to make
the right decision for the right reasons.

Well that's about all that's in my bag for now. Still learning! As a wise man once told me, if you want to really know about something, become a student
of the process. That, in a nutshell, is what I'm attempting to do.

Happy New Year Neighbor!
Revdocmb of Northwest GR

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
Hey rev sounds like you need an honest opinion go with the xlt I live not that far from you I actually grew up in Walker Mich. if you wanna check out an xlt first hand let me know its great for night hunts because it has an illuminated panel and the unit can be programmed for custom uses such as silver or gold believe me for a couple more dollars this unit will pay for itself e mail me if you want to know more

sandrailer

Dec 28, 2006
Durand, Mi.USA
Detector(s) used
fisher coinstrike
I`d take Fatsmahoney up on his offer there,You could get out and swing for real also you would have someone local that could help you learn your Md if you go with the same as Fatsmahoney uses.
I know that someone local would have been a BIG HELP with learning my md.
Also i think the shop in Plainwell has a club maybe you could go to a few of there meetings and see what the members have to say about what they are using(take what you hear with a grain of salt as a lot of MD`ers are VERY brand loyal).Not that they(club in Plainwell) are just keep that in mind with all advice you get.
HH sandrailer

OP
OP
R

revdocmb

Greenie
Dec 23, 2007
::) Amen! What's that about not looking a gift horse in the mouth? I have considered attending a few of the monthly meetings in Plainwell. There's a club in GR, but that's one of the organizations that didn't answer my emails.
Actually I've given serious thought to beginning a New Club in GR called:
...................................Christian Treasure Seekers..................................
Those seeking treasure in Heaven as well as here on earth. Sound interesting?

revdocmb

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Rev;
Al is a wise man with alot of years in the hobby. If I were you I'ld go to the meetings, and do so with an open mind. I'm pretty sure you could spend 250 bucks on a Tesoro and get more then the rest of us who have spent alot more. That is if you have the drive that the best of this hobby have.
If you think you might want to look at the Whites stuff, take Fats up on his offer. He seems like a quality guy. You should try to match a machine to what your interests are. I'm about to buy my forth machine and I think it will be a Tesoro Silver Umax. But I won't ever sell my Minelab.
God Bless
Muleskinner

OP
OP
R

revdocmb

Greenie
Dec 23, 2007
:) Merry Christmas To You All & God Bless~ Thanks Muleskinner for taking the time to respond. From our first meeting, it was apparent Allan had the experience to give me good advice. I'm sure he'll lead me in the right direction. Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to go with Tesoro? They seem to be reletively unknown ~ until last night I hadn't heard of them. Am I to assume their machines are as good or better than White, Garrett and others?

Well here's hoping you all have a blessed, happy, and safe holiday season. Until next time, this is 'PassionatePapa' wishing you all God's best in your lives.

revdocmb

sandrailer

Dec 28, 2006
Durand, Mi.USA
Detector(s) used
fisher coinstrike
#1 reason to buy Tesoro =======LIFETIME WARANTY don't own one so i cant say more than that maybe Muleskinner can fill you in on some more details.
HH Sandrailer

OP
OP
R

revdocmb

Greenie
Dec 23, 2007
:) Greetings From The Hill~

After nearly two months of solid research, I've finally decided on one of two detectors to be my first and they are: Tesoro's Cibola and TigerShark. With the lifetime warranty, the decision was really easy. I must admit I hadn't heard of Tesoro before last week end and since reading everything on their website, including the company's history, I've walked away with a decision. Without a doubt, knowledge is power! I thank all of you for the help you've given me. It won't be forgotten anytime soon and the end result will be shared with others
seeking to purchase their first machine to find the mother load. Happy hunting
everyone!
revdocmb

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Depth, speed and simplicity of operation. I have several acquaintances also interested in thier first detectors, from research I've narrowed it down to the Fisher F2, The Ace 250 and the Silver Umax. It appears we could be buying between 3 and six machines at once.
Actually reading Badgers reviews of the Silver got my attention. Also his test on the F2 kinda soured me toward that machine. Don't make a hasty decision, it took me 3 machine and alot of research before I got my Sovereign, and was finally happy.

OP
OP
R

revdocmb

Greenie
Dec 23, 2007
:) Hello Muleskinner~

You know, of course, that I'm new to this hobby of MD'ing but that's not to say I haven't done my homework. After having ask a multitude of questions
and read everything I could find on the Internet, talking to dealers, and contact-
ing the manufacturers themselves, I've finally come to a decision on purchasing
my first machine.
Are you ready????? Nope! it's not the White, nor the Garrett, or Fisher or host
of others. It's TESORO for two reasons ~ no ~ make that three reason:

1. Tesoro has a lifetime warranty
2. Tesoro, for the most part, cost less
3. Tesoro makes extremely good machines designed to do one thing and one
thing only ~ find you what you're looking for without all the bells & wistles
& hype.

So there you have it. My bet is on Tesoro metal detectors. By the way I haven't
mentioned which model I'll likely purchase. It's a toss-up between two models.
1. The Tesoro Cibola (only a few dollars more than their less expensive models
2. The Vaquero because it has the added feature of a Ground Balancing knob &
that my friend may be what makes all the difference should you decide you
wish to hunt any ocean beach sometime in the future.
Both machines are awesome! Take your pick and if you'll not likely hunt ocean
beaches, pick the Cibola. You'll not be sorry you did as it has a BIG PINPOINT
knob to make your hunt a lot easier.

Well with that I wish you and all our friends here a Happy New Year. May it be one of JOY, PEACE, LOVE, & lot's of good finds. Until next time.....................

revdocmb

seatedhalf

Dec 28, 2007
Parma MI
Detector(s) used
M6 and DFX and now a E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should go to a meeting as a guest. There are people who use both brands you mention. I use an M6 and a DFX. I like them both for various reasons. M6 is a very nice turn on and go unit. The DFX has a learning curve(definately deeper than the M6) but is pretty easy with the books available. I like White's but there are great products from Minelab available. If I had the money I might get an Explorer someday myself. Try to find someone to go out with and use theirs.

OP
OP
R

revdocmb

Greenie
Dec 23, 2007
Hello Seatedhalf,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Within the next few weeks, God willing, I'll be purchasing my 'New' Cibola of Tesoro from Allan of Pro Stock. He and I have emailed one another over the past few weeks and he
has told me the Cibola is a great machine and will handle the kind of hunt-
ting I'm hoping to do. I'm really looking forward to getting out there! Do
have a super New Year and God bless.

revdocmb

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Rev, I would like to second the invitation to our club meeting. you don't have to be a member to attend and there are lots of knowledgable users of most makes of machines who use them for every type of hunting.
we have a find of the month contest where you will see some awesome finds! (usually a little skinny during the winter months) and vote on the best.
generally it's just a bunch of good folks who love the hobbie getting together, i guarantee that you will be welcome!
i believe you can't go wrong by dealing with a "real" detector shop they know the gear and how to use it.
Throw in an honest owner like Al and you just can't go wrong.
Just like you Al spent a considerable amount of time with me when i was trying to make sense out of all the options. In the end he talked me out of the detector that i thought i should get ($1000) and sold me a machine that cost considerable less ($750) because of the ease of use and amount of time i had to go detecting. he figured with the more expensive detector i would never use it enough to get past the learning curve would put it in the closet and never take it out again. since that first detector, with which i have found many many treasures i have returned to purchase many detectors from Al and have never been disappointed!

hh steve

OP
OP
R

revdocmb

Greenie
Dec 23, 2007
Hey There HH~Steve,

Would you be so kind as to tell me the date and time for your next meeting? Thanks. Don't know if I'll make it, but I can try. God willing,
I'll see you there.

revdocmb

sirlostalot

Jul 22, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They meet the third Tuesday of every month at 7pm. The web site for the club is http://www.swmss.org I belive it has directions there to the meeting. If not just show up at Pro Stocks around 6pm on the day of the meeting. Youll meet someone there from the club and you can follow them

dutchroots

Aug 25, 2007
I was there. My first meeting! Thanks for mentioning the time, Steve. I just happened to be working in the area that night, so I stopped by.

Redfoot

Jul 12, 2006
Nashville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT and Ace 250
I would like to say first welcome to the hobby. I would also like to say that Al is the man to talk to. He also talked me out of spending alot of money on one that I would not use like I should. I have bought an Ace 250 and a whites MXT from him and they are both great machines. Al is fair, honest, and joy to deal with. I love his stories and he always has time for you no matter how busy he is. I know you will be happy with what ever machine he and you choose. He knows what he is talking about. He always explains his reasons for why you may not want a certain one. He also tries alot of different machines so he knows how each one works. I have never had him sound like he is loyal to any brand either. Thats what I have noticed with people in this hobby they get stuck on one brand and thats the best to them. I think each brand has it's good and bad. Well enough said Happy Hunting.

Curtis aka Redfoot

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dutchroot & Rev

sorry i didn't get to meet you at the meeting. I hope you enjoyed yourself.

If you get a chance we're going to have speakers for the next couple of meetings. Some members from the Kalamazoo Antique Bottle Club and a fellow that is involved with shipwreck diving and preservation in the great lakes. It should be very interesting!

hh

steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread