CACHEHNTR

CACHEHNTR

Jan 25, 2006
Hibbing, Mn
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea i sure am. I live just south of Sidnaw Around 25-30 miles from the town. ( i have a hunting cabin close to sidnaw also) Found a dandy of a spot there a few years ago and detected around it. All you can see that remains is the dirt mounds of the foundation. I'm sure it was a lumber camp BUT someone has done some prospecting of kinds as there are two holes dug out of the rock both about 3-4 feet deep. I never found anything but nails and small scraps of tin. definitely worth a more detailed search though.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
yah true yooper here, i do plenty of hunting in the Marquette area, looking for some of the old gold mines, and early iron ore, blast furnaces and charcoal kilns hunting, havent checked out any logging camps yet. there is a big one down here [Menominee}that i have permision but havent hit yet, cerimonial dance ring and some cellar holes, from what ive read there is a train, round house here for the narrow gauge cars. plan on spending more time looking for some copper culture stuff this summer

Author Man

Jan 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
newbee in Republic

I am waiting for spring to buy my MD. Looking for friend to help me learn the ropes. I trout fish and want to hit the Ropes gold mine area in Ishpeming. I also know lots of old homesteads in my area. Iam legally blind and a Leukemia survivor and can't wait for the thaw in April. Hadsome trouble with this post and welcome any emails to help.

Gene, the author man, my book is called Trout FallsChronicles, a loosely based book on Republic and small town life in the UP.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Not a yooper...but know all their words to the songs! :)
I would like to hunt some of those old towns and logging camps also.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
gypsy if you want to come up this summer to my buddys, will let you know, will give you the name of the camp for research, cannot remember it off the top of my head, ive have the info at work. will have to hit it this summer, minning companys have been hitting the people up in this area to sell, they want to hit the gold an other minerals here

OP
OP
CACHEHNTR

CACHEHNTR

Jan 25, 2006
Hibbing, Mn
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well then gypsy, here is a quiz to see! In the second week of deer camp,who cracked a beer and said it's time to celebrate? And who got the first buck since 1968?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
That would be....Who is Goofus? ,Alex for the win! ........ (Yooper Jeopardy music playing in the background....)

OP
OP
CACHEHNTR

CACHEHNTR

Jan 25, 2006
Hibbing, Mn
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt mind hitting the ropes gold mine area,never been there. Allways wanted to go north and look for copper nuggets too. Anyone intersted in a group hunt somewhere?

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
cachehntr plenty of old goldmines around the ropes area ,i havent checked out that area yet plan on it thes summer, spent a bit of time about 10 miles norht on the dear river gold range, my inlaws live a couple miles up the road from the ropes mine

OP
OP
CACHEHNTR

CACHEHNTR

Jan 25, 2006
Hibbing, Mn
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother in-law and sister in-law live just out of Ishpeming and I've spoke with him about it (the ropes) he says it's pretty over grown now days but it still would be cool to take a look around.

Author Man

Jan 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
combine trout fishing and gold hunting

I live in Republic, not far from Ishpeming and I would like to hit the trout streams near i Ropes and maybe find some gold but if not a few nice brookies would be ok too. Anyone want to join me after the last saturday in April I am up for it. Buying my Tesoro Silver Umax first week of March and can't wait for the thaw and try my luck. Gene

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
author man if im up that weekend im for it, im up there quite a bit during the summer, usually on the north side of the dead river, do you know any Jill's from town?

Author Man

Jan 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
Jill, eh?

Your talking of Ishpeming, eh? Does she live off of Cooper Lake road? Not off hand I don't. You can email me at [email protected]. Have a good one....

OP
OP
CACHEHNTR

CACHEHNTR

Jan 25, 2006
Hibbing, Mn
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Author Man, I'd be up for it too! Brook trout and gold....................does it get any better LOL.

Author Man

Jan 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
no, it doesn't get any better

Sounds like we have a plan. I'm new to metal detecting and buying my Tesoro silver umax in March and can't wait to get started. I am experienced in trout fishing and know some dandy spots around Republic. I must say that I am legally blind and can't drive but I do fine. I get around on my trusty ATV I call Blue. Also hope we can get a group of us together to do some hunting and/or fishing. Problem is you may have to be blindfolded AND drive to go to my best spot that I guarantee trout every time. lol. Gene

K-Man

Apr 12, 2007
marinette, wi
im not a yooper butlike 2 minutes across the river.....thompy im just across the river from ya and i never knew of the old logging camp lol shows ya how much i know lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions