Upper Penn.

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have any of you found any coins from late 1600s to early 1700s. i found a map from 1693 of michigan and it shows marqutte as one old town. just wondering on old french coins.. even fort mackinaw wasent present but st. ignas was.. amazing how accurate these maps are from almost 400 years. what does 70 leagues mean there is a trail in michgan at the time and says that

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
how about a copy of the map, i didnt think it was older than 1840, no old coins yet, mabey it was a trading stop because of the harbor

trusty

Dec 18, 2007
Osceola County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
A league is a unit of length or area long common in Europe and Latin America, although no longer an official unit in any nation. The league most frequently expresses the distance a person, or a horse, can walk in 1 hour of time (usually about 3.5 miles or 5.5 kilometres).

goldie1959

Oct 7, 2007
michigan
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500
st.ignace was founded by father marquette,a jesuit preist as a mission for the indians ,i believe he came over to this area with jacques cartier the explorer that discovered the st. lawrence river. fr. marq. also founded, sault st. marie, etc died on lk. mich. buried at ludington then his body was moved to st. ignace.i am going by memory so look him up on the net. for more info. was watching antique rd. show on tv and some guy walking ,i think in the woods around gaylord or grayling ,on his property kicked a piece metal about 5or6 inches in diameter. it was an old celtic cross. he went home, cleaned it up ,hung it on his wall for 20 yrs. his daughter took it to college in arizona, hung it up ,got tired of it and decided to sell it in a yard sale. the man was visiting his daughter and said hey i like that, i found it, and brought it back to mich. well at the show i think at the renaciance? center in detroit he took it in to be looked at and after the experts there researched, they found out it belonged to fr. marquette .he had recieved it when he was ordained a preist and they said it was priceless!!!!!!!. mich. artifact almost sold in arizona at a yard sale. i guess the morals to the story is always keep looking up to the heavens and where your walking for treasures and those (boring) haha HISTORY BOOKS!!!!! haha

OP
OP
Planet1mars

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.historicmapworks.com/Sections/Osher/country.php?country=Michigan&cont=North_America
Click on 1696 map
Here is where i found the maps this for example. Im researching 2 areas for a treasure tale so i wont say too much. but i order this map today and a 2 other diffrent years. If you see the bottom right area where st john is today the map i have shows a x spot between 2 areas. and the shiawassee river is another place im researching going to hunt in june or july for a treasure tale... so to the story who found it i cant say who is right..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread