Grass lake bank robbery

Jim C.

Jun 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer (is there another brand)
Yes I have done some research on that cool old bank robbery. There was, I think, $300 still not recovered in silver and gold. Now that would be a fun find. The place where they went, like you say is all private property now. I drove out there and looked around. Could be laying out there somewhere. But there were so many involved in that robbery including some girlfriends of the robbers that probably came back and got it. It is a cool story. I read the newspaper accounts in the Jackson Library.

OP
OP
lonesomebob

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Jim; My Dad was there at the time, he was just out of the military. He worked in the bowling alley there, He happened to be wearing a medics shirt.aththe time.The
sherriff called to him to come on doc. They went up the stairs to the bedroom,having to step over a dead deputy on the way. He said he had never seen more money in his life than was spread out on the bed. They started a hunt for the one that ran into the swamp, didnt find him.. Dad and Sherriff Hammer were good friends after all that. All sorts of wild stories have been told about this robbery and its finish. I do know where they hid their second car and dumped the get away car. Bob

Jim C.

Jun 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer (is there another brand)
Cool stuff. Any idea on if the lost money was ever found? Or what might of happened to it?

OP
OP
lonesomebob

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I dont remember how much went missing, but if it was in the swamp ,it's gone. There are all sorts of stories as to what really happened. I just remember my dad telling about the shootings and piles of money on the bed. Wish I knew more. Wish I could talk to him again. Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread