Samarai Sword

BayAreaDigger

Sep 7, 2011
This was picked up off of a dead soldier during WWII. Been in the family ever since. I was wondering what something like this might be worth. It has pearls in the handle and gold by the hand guard. It looks a lot older than the 1940's IMO and is still as sharp as a razor. Any idea what this thing might be worth or what the age may be. I took as many pics as I saw fit. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0460.JPG
    IMG_0460.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0462.JPG
    IMG_0462.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0464.JPG
    IMG_0464.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_0465.JPG
    IMG_0465.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_0466.JPG
    IMG_0466.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 733
  • IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 805
OP
OP
B

BayAreaDigger

Sep 7, 2011
Wow, I just realized after posting this that I didn't get a full picture of the blade unsheathed. The blade itself is in very good shape with very little to no pits, and absolutely no rust whatsoever. The blade itself is in one piece and still has it's original form, and what seems like its original sharpness (you could shave with this thing). Anyways, thought I would add this much since I failed at getting complete pictures.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have a large range of value .Yours looks to be in nice shape . Thousands of these were brought back but many were just plan and not very ornate. I think yours would be a bit more of the higher end ones with the sheath. Myself would never sell it since it was brought back by a family member. :coffee2:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
birdman said:
They have a large range of value .Yours looks to be in nice shape . Thousands of these were brought back but many were just plan and not very ornate. I think yours would be a bit more of the higher end ones with the sheath. Myself would never sell it since it was brought back by a family member. :coffee2:

I once read that there are more swords from WWII here in the states than in Japan.

High quality pieces like the one you have 'usually' have a maker's mark scribed on the tang (under the grip).
You could have the grip professionally removed (without harm) and then researched. That would help date
your sword. . . it could be centuries old and quite valuable.

Awesome sword :thumbsup:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The handle is not pearls, it is the skin of a stingray. What you have is not one of the machine made and issued swords. This probably belonged to an officer. It looks to be a family sword that was possibly cut down to be of an authorized and uniform size. You will need to take it to an expert who can read the makers markings that should be etched on the tang.

It is a nice sword.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
After the war swords in Japan were collected,thrown in huge piles and burned. There are strict rules about having them even today. From what little I know, the non com models are not very valuable,5 bucks and up, but a rare one will bring thousands,maybe ten's of thousands. Hope you got it looked at and will update us.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
fair find.

combat cover is intact
menuki missing
needs relacing...after menuki are replaced.
blade as shown is a manufactured blade..anywhere from around 1930-1945.
400 to 600 hundred in that condition...if the rest of the blade is in the same condition...no chips, nicks, broken tip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread