Need info on large, old album/book "The American Soldier in the Civil War"

funsally72

Greenie
Jul 21, 2014
North Shore, MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a very large book like album titled "The American Soldier in the Civil War". The first handful of pages are badly torn I do not know who or when published it. And are the illustrations lithographs?? Who or where is best to get an accurate appraisal? Any information is greatly appreciated! Here are a few pics...
GEDC0029.JPG GEDC0032.JPG GEDC0033.JPG GEDC0035.JPG GEDC0043.JPG GEDC0044.JPG

Last edited:

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
The book was compiled in 1895 by Frank Leslie in New York.
The full title is "The American Soldier in the Civil War, a Pictorial History of the Campaigns and Conflicts of the War Between the States".
The illustrations were done by some of the best war artists of the time.

The book itself is a collection of articles written by Rossiter Johnson, General Fitzhugh Lee, John Clark Ridpath, General John T Morgan, and George Kilmer. People with firsthand accounts of the war.

The book also gives a chronological summary and record of every engagement between the Troops of the Union and the Confederacy, Showing total losses and casualties in each engagement, the whole collated and compiled from official records.

I'm really not sure what sort of value you could get on this book. I did find a few of them for sale in the $150 range. But the cover and binding on your copy looks pretty rough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread