Found Gott Schutze Dich pendant in Afghanistan

29INFMANCHU

Jun 11, 2011
I'm a soldier with 2nd BCT, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). While on dismounted patrol in Kandahar, Afghanistan I stumbled across the aforementioned charm necklace just laying on the ground. Just found it again and am interested to know if anyone has seen another like it, google searches turned up no similar charm. The charm itself appears to be silver but I think the chain may be nickel or something? (I'm a GI and know little about jewelry). Any input would be appreciated. Could this thing be rare or is it a mass produced piece of junk?

Attachments

• IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    529 KB · Views: 1,287
  • IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    463.4 KB · Views: 1,240

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one! From the script it looks like early 20th century, the design looks somewhat modern but can be that old too. Can be a hairloom... There are german troops around kandahar too? Maybe one of this soldiers took it down there and lost it. Not very rare, but im sure someone is missing that thing badly...
Welcome to t-net!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. Wish I could find something like that here in Iraq. Nothing but rocks and a few bullets. :coffee2:

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for you and all the other soldiers there for protecting the USA.. I will remember you all in my prayers and hope you all will be home and with your families safely. Thats one awesome find. wonder what the translation means.. any imput out there? :thumbsup:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Translation, "God protect you". (truth can be found in many places, imo)
What a great find, congratulations, and welcome to t-net. Oh, Im'ma cat, btw, I may no less about jewelry! :laughing7:

Seems your pendant, imo, symbolizes, God, holding his child(ren), while they hold the world.
I would certainly hold on to that item, as someone else, is probably still holding it too.(if that makes sense). Much beauty in those thoughts, imo.
May your comings and goings be blessed and protected. Thank you for all.

birdman, sorry to hear bout ya rocks and bullets, here's hoping things look up for ya.
You stay blessed and prtotected too. As I wish this, for you all.
With thanks. :icon_salut:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Welcome to TN. I think its a catholic St. Christopher medal most likely purchased in Germany. Its carried for protection by those that believe. I hope he just lost the medal. I dont think its very old. :dontknow:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...rue&rt=nc&si=KjMzcGi9IzFd6G6PA4XOogseu%2F0%3D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Old-Medal-...d=110667252497&ps=63&clkid=597227372709858876
Thats exactly what it is. St. Christopher is the patron saint of the travelers and such pendants are often carried on the dash of a car to protect the ride.
I have one in the engine bay of my truck...i think i need it there more.... :tongue3:
Hope the owner of the pendant made it safely home.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Heres a blog about St. Christopher medals. http://stchristopherprotectus.blogspot.com/

"Saint Christopher - the one-time Catholic patron saint of traveler's, whose name means "Christ carrier." ( I think the baby depicted on the medal is the baby Jesus).

"To help protect our soldiers, about 876 St. Christopher medals were mailed July 19th, over to a Captain in Baghdad, for distribution to his Unit, in the Forward Support Company, of the 20th Engineer Battalion. Our thoughts and prayers are going along with these medals, in asking St. Christopher to help protect our soldiers."

Attachments

• st christopher carrying christ child.jpg
    st christopher carrying christ child.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,076

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Heres a blog about St. Christopher medals. http://stchristopherprotectus.blogspot.com/

"Saint Christopher - the one-time Catholic patron saint of traveler's, whose name means "Christ carrier." ( I think the baby depicted on the medal is the baby Jesus).

"To help protect our soldiers, about 876 St. Christopher medals were mailed July 19th, over to a Captain in Baghdad, for distribution to his Unit, in the Forward Support Company, of the 20th Engineer Battalion. Our thoughts and prayers are going along with these medals, in asking St. Christopher to help protect our soldiers."
Hey BCH, good to see ya! Thanks for the factual info, as all I had was cat-puke. LOL! My bad........ :laughing7:
I'm not catholic or nothing, so I'm not "up" on my saints, so to say.
The sentiments, still hold the same...............with love.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
hi good to hear from you Pat.

I need to put one of those medals under my hood like Westfront. Maybe it will help.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
hi good to hear from you Pat.

I need to put one of those medals under my hood like Westfront. Maybe it will help.
Uh, you do what ya feel you need to do with the medals, honey. :laughing7:
Did the rain put them fires out for ya'll down there? :icon_scratch:
I was thinking of you yesterday. Hope all is well. :icon_thumleft:

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, German St. Christopher medal. I would guess from the German troops that were there starting again in 2002. I was there about that time and the Germans were scattered all around the country.

Thanks for your service! I love the 101st, I spent the best 5 years of my Army career at Ft. Campbell with 4th Bde (Avn).

Air Assault!

Sof

Sep 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a soldier with 2nd BCT, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). While on dismounted patrol in Kandahar, Afghanistan I stumbled across the aforementioned charm necklace just laying on the ground. Just found it again and am interested to know if anyone has seen another like it, google searches turned up no similar charm. The charm itself appears to be silver but I think the chain may be nickel or something? (I'm a GI and know little about jewelry). Any input would be appreciated. Could this thing be rare or is it a mass produced piece of junk?

I have a similar pendant. Gott Schutze dich means "God protects you" and the image is a picture of St.Christopher who was a martyr is the patron saint of travellers. Christians will often carry photos of him while travelling on an aeroplane or suchlike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread