any forum members from southern france??

arjacobson

Greenie
Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello- I know this is a long shot but...I am checking to see if any members are from France. Basically around meximieux. My uncle was captured there during ww2(45th division) I have some info about where he buried his watch(liberated german watch) after he was wounded and laid there in the dirt. Maybe someone could possibly find it and send a pic.. I'm sure he would get a kick out of seeing it. He buried it because it was well know that if found with german souveniers they would be executed on the spot.. ANY help will be MUCH appreciated..

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liberated watch....my fathers pilots watch was "liberated" too and he is still annoyed. :laughing7:
We have a few french members here, but as far as i know they were more from the north. Filou901 is the one who may help....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ARJ:
Welcome to Treasure Net !
"dudule 44" is from France and has assisted me in returning items lost in France to US soldiers or their heirs.
If you can't find him, you may PM me your EM address and I'll forward it on to 'dudule 44'
Don......

OP
OP
A

arjacobson

Greenie
Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don-I have sent you a pm. THANKS MUCH. Wouldn't it be neat to actually find his watch?

Bratvlos

Dec 19, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Déus the Only Wireless Métal Détector - Tecknetics D4000 - Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello

I'm Philippe from France.

Can you provide information on the place of loss and an image of the watch ?

I am not of this area but I can give information on a french detection website.

Edite : I find a person who lives at 6 kms from the village, I wait for the new...

OP
OP
A

arjacobson

Greenie
Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was at meximieux. He was not in the town but at a roadblock out of town. I will look up which road he was on when the 11th panzer division over ran the road block. He was in the 45th division-179th 2nd battalion-company f. I'm sure someone in the town of meximieux would know which roadblock I was talking about. It is mentioned in a few history books about company f being decimated at this spot. As far as what the watch looks like I do not know. It was a german watch he had"liberated" When he was shot and laying in the dirt he had the presence of mind to dig with his hands and bury the watch. It was a well known fact that if they would have searched him right away he would have been executed for wearing a captured german watch. This was pretty common at this time and both sides did just that. As always any help would be MUCh appreciated. randy

OP
OP
A

arjacobson

Greenie
Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was halfway between dagneux and meximieux. I will check out your map and see if I can nail it down better. THANKS!

Bratvlos

Dec 19, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Déus the Only Wireless Métal Détector - Tecknetics D4000 - Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok i'm waiting...

You can uncheck at left "Carte IGN" filter for an aerial view...

OP
OP
A

arjacobson

Greenie
Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
According to the 45th division yearbook on the morning of sept 1st-a large german force attacked and pushed back(decimated) my uncles company on highway 84 at the DAGNEUX roadblock. We need to find the location of DAGNEUX. Wherever the roadblock was is where the battle happened. I am wondering if some of the older people in that area would remember this?

OP
OP
A

arjacobson

Greenie
Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dagneux is south and west of meximieux. There is a highway 84d. I am wondering if that is the right road? This is getting to be exciting :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
A

arjacobson

Greenie
Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
still working on this guys. I am trying to nail it down to the actual road intersection

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the update. It is a very small chance, but worth trying it!

philippe01

Oct 12, 2012
Meximieux - FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer xs Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I'm french and I'm living in Meximieux.
I know that a battle has been in my city. Each year, we make his anniversary.
Can you give me all details about this watch ( wich metal, color, brand, watch bracelet or not,...) And all details that you have about this battle that your uncle have done. What he have seen ( buidings, fields, roads, or any things wich can helping me for findind the right place.
In the other hand, I'll read the book " the battle of Meximieux", for keep other détails.
Can you tell me your uncle's name.

See you.

Philippe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread