ID needed for Bullets found a Rev. war site?

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Ft. Washington State Park 036.jpg
    Ft. Washington State Park 036.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 553

Daniel in Ak

Feb 23, 2005
Alaska
Rev War site dude you could find anyhting there from that time period to present,and during the Rev War times they shot Musket balls,and what you have here and Im pretty sure cause I find alot of these in Fort Sites in Arizona and Wyoming,is a 45-70 which has been fired.Granted it could also be a 45-55,but Im sticking to the 45-70.Cool find as I love that period.Daniel

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
if it's round then it could be Rev. War. Back then they only shot round balls. What you have there has rings, so a bit before civil war past turn of the century.

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
The picture you show really is kind of hard to see exactly what you have found. You need a much better pictuee including measurements of the total length and diameter of the piece. Myself, I don't think it is a keeper, and it is not Rev.War, or even 1812. Much, much, later.

Where did you find it. You don't have to be specific, just give us an idea and maybe we can help you find out what it is. For instance, did you find it near a Rev. War site? Etc.

David@Dixie

Greenie
Jul 19, 2005
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Tesoro, Pulse Devil, Detector Pro, Troy
Your bullet would date no earlier than 1870s. Although the Springfield "trapdoor" was invented in 1863, the Federal Gov't (Brainiac's, all of them) decided not to adapt it until after the Civil War (lucky for the South). I agree with the 45/70 class of projectiles, and true: Rev War projectiles were round "musket ball." The British "Brown Bess" shot a .74 caliber ball from a .75 cal smooth bore musket (flintlock). For ID'ing projectiles, get yourself a copy of Mason & McKee's "Civil War Projectiles II: Small arms and field artillery." This is one of the best books ever published on CW bullets, Artillery shells, Cannon and such. Very affordable; under $40 in hardback.
Good hunting,
David

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread