brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This morning's finds

The temperature was tolerable this a.m. so I hit a favorite CW camp site and found these. I have found several dozen dropped bullets here and almost as many cleaners as 3 ringers! Why would there be so many cleaner bullets here? They are as scattered as the other relics. I don't usually keep shot shell brass but this one intrigued me US Climax 12 ga. I also found a Indian Head fattie that is soaking. I can't read the date but hopefully it will clean up. Thanks for looking.
Mike

Attachments

• Friday digs 005 (Medium).jpg
    Friday digs 005 (Medium).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,082

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: This morning's finds

Hey there, nice finds!

I've never heard of or seen a "cleaner" bullet. Is that one in your pic - upper left with the tail like thing on the end? Without stating the obvious.... what exactly does a cleaner bullet do? Clean the barrell of residue?

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Yes, thats the idea behind them CTrout, and supposed to be used after each 10th regular round (if I've read accurate info). But in battle I'm guessing these would be tossed aside? Was this a major battle site?

OP
OP
brnn53

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

These were found on my farm where as my grand-mother told me "Sherman's calvary camped here". She was correct.
Mike

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice find's Mike....I just found 3 WC TypeI last week,my first.Any info on the Fatty yet?Nice going Mike!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
brnn53

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Its a flying eagle cent! I thought that the coin would be a fattie since it felt thicker than an Indian head but lo and behold, its my first flying eagle. 1857. I soaked it in olive oil for 5 days and it revealed itself. Wish I knew how to clean it more but I'm afraid to damage it. Thanks for looking. HH!
Mike

Attachments

• Flying eagle 001 (Medium).jpg
    Flying eagle 001 (Medium).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 973

ToyMan

Jul 25, 2005

Those are "Williams Cleaners". The space between the bottom and top were wound with a cotton like material. When the rifle was fired the bottom piece pushed into the cotton and expanded it thus cleaning the barrel as the bullet exited.

Sometimes they are found with the cotton still in them.

TM

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That's wierd Mike....I found my first and probably only FE about a month and a half ago,and too was a 57'.Big Congrat's to Ya Buddy....I know you said it was a Fatty but to have that revealed had to be Awesome,something you don't find everyday.WTG :thumbsup:

OP
OP
brnn53

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Civilman...

I was definitely surprised and happy!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

brnn53 said:
Its a flying eagle cent! I thought that the coin would be a fattie since it felt thicker than an Indian head but lo and behold, its my first flying eagle. 1857. I soaked it in olive oil for 5 days and it revealed itself. Wish I knew how to clean it more but I'm afraid to damage it. Thanks for looking. HH!
Mike
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:...Now i like that very nice. Be careful how you clean it i got a large cent once and was told how to clean it . They told me to use vinegar on it you could see it on both sides nice so i put vinegar on it and just watched all design picture date everything just dissapear ....It just was a round blank after that it made me sick................................Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread