Need coil advice for an Explorer S

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

I met someone on the beach today who has never posted online or looked at forums, so I said I would ask and see what would be the recommendation for his machine.

He is in the market for a new coil for his Explorer S. He wanted to know what would work the best with it, and since I do not know much about detecting, I am hoping someone here will have an answer. I let him try the coil from my Etrac, and it worked well, so we were thinking maybe one of them. But, I wanted to ask the pros!

Thank you very much for the advice,
Anthony

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I've never used either the E-trac or S.........I use the XS or II. That aside, I am sure that anything that works on the E-trac would work on the S. I personally do not know of a coil that is specific to only one Explorer model. Does anyone? The S and XS are about the same machine, less a few buttons and features. With that said, you should be able to suggest whatever coil is working good for your machine.

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
I'd say that the pro coil that you have is a very good choice for your friend, also the the SunRay X-12 would be another good option, also the 15" WOT coil from coiltek is another good one. I'm assuming he's mainly beach hunting.

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
The only 12" coil that I know of for the 1200 series was the old hot head coil, it was a good deepseeking coil but it was a solid coil not a spyder.

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
When I met him on the beach, he had a 15 or 18 inch coil on his machine, and it was giving him fits. We did some tests on it,and it did not register my wedding band after 3 or 4 inches. It also falsed uncontrollably the entire time he was out hunting.

Thanks for the input, he has his new coil picked out and ordered :)
Anthony

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also hear good stuff about the S.E.F coil from Detech. :icon_scratch:
It seems very popular in the UK. :thumbsup:

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
Narthoniel said:
When I met him on the beach, he had a 15 or 18 inch coil on his machine, and it was giving him fits. We did some tests on it,and it did not register my wedding band after 3 or 4 inches. It also falsed uncontrollably the entire time he was out hunting.

Thanks for the input, he has his new coil picked out and ordered :)
Anthony
Well if the pro coil worked well with his machine as you stated I'd have to believe his coil may be defective.

Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread