Found an important thing on Quattros and safaris

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it may sound strange but i had allways left sensitivity to Auto on my Quattro big mistake. . But decided today to try a quarter in a plug i dug and in auto it wouldnt hit the quarter below about 4 to 5 inches. Now i decided to crank up the sensitivity and man what a difference.. I was hitten the quarter easilly 8 to 10 inches down on a plug with quarter. These machines are deep. Im using the 8 inch minelab coil and the machine still is deep as hell. I wont be using auto anymore. Lesson learned all the good stuff older coins are deeper in the ground. I had sens all the way up to 19 and brought it down to 12 and it still was hitten the quarter at 8 to 10 inches. Minelab has crazy depth. :headbang:

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yup !

I run it 19 or 20 when I can on the wet sand beaches.

Very often, I get cracky, non consistent signals. That is what is called fringe area detection. The depth gauge is then totally blanked out.

Ckecking with the sens in auto produces NO signals.

P/pointing always reveals a deep target.

Digging always reveals a (mostly high conductive) keeper.

Deep machines !

HH

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I have found that I have to adjust sens for different ground and coils.

Keeping the machine fairly stable with as much sens as possible can be a balancing act.

The only coil that I keep on auto most of the time is the new procoil. That thing is so hot that if I set the sens high it goes off if I'm half a mile from an old can if the sens is set high! If I turn it down I notice the depth starts to fall off. However, a few weeks ago I dug a silver Washington over a foot down with it! The V3 that was hunting with me got no signal on the coin at all. I told him it was there, and he told me I was crazy, until I pulled it from the hole. I was on Auto.

So, I have no hard and fast rules on sens anymore. I set my 5" coil at 13 to start, and then see how it behaves in the ground I'm hunting.

Noise cancel often. That seems to make more difference in depth and ID than almost anything else.

Good Luck,
Mark

Jimmy D

Jul 10, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro, Minelab X-Terra 70
Glad I came upon this topic, I have ben using my Quattro in mostly auto sens. I have found a lot of stuff but I will try using manual adjusting it as necessary. The few times I have used it in manual, the machine seemed unstable.........

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When running the Q at 20 sens on the beach, you get some falsing, but the signals are not repeatable and will show "10" on the ID.

If you receive a signal that is repeatable but with a cracky audio and a jumping ID, then DIG !!

Some target is hiding there. (you can see for yourself by pinpointing. )

HH

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Jimmy D,
If you use manual sens you keep going down until the machine is stable enough to give clean signals, without a bunch of falsing.
I've had times when I've been down to 10 or 11 before it settled down. With my pro coil I still pull coins from 10" or more on the lower settings.
Good Luck,
Mark

idig4

Greenie
Nov 28, 2008
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
mpostma said:
Jimmy D,
If you use manual sens you keep going down until the machine is stable enough to give clean signals, without a bunch of falsing.
I've had times when I've been down to 10 or 11 before it settled down. With my pro coil I still pull coins from 10" or more on the lower settings.
Good Luck,
Mark

I have been using the Safari the same way as Mark describes. I ran my machine on 20 at the beach in wet sand last week with great results. At home, I just drop the sens until the machine settles down. I pulled a Lincoln penny the other day at 10" using the pro-coil with sens at 9. I rarely run the Safari in auto anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions