dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
hello, i am having a great time learning the Exp II, great detector. I have a tough time using the pinpoint button, which i have heard great things about. Not sure if mine is defective or if i'm just not familiar yet but I hit the button to pinpoint and get the tone almost everywhere! Over the target, next to the target, in the air, in the tree, it doesnt matter! ;D Its not a solid tone everywhere but frequent enough that it would be impossible to tell where the target is. Luckily I have great success pinpointing in the normal hunting mode. Once I open the plug, things can get a little tricky sometimes. I do have a handheld pinpointer (automax v4) which helps a little but better than nothing I guess. I still hunt with the stock 1050 coil which is a tad heavy and separates not as well as others I have read about but still gets good depth. The pro coil looks to be a bit lighter, better balanced, and better separation. The 10x12 sef looks good too but I think I would choose the pro coil because of the weight/balance issue. I have a cheap pair of koss headphones. They are loud as hell, no volume adjustment, and the cheap earmuffs are quickly falling apart. I think the audio quality is good with them but they don't really block out any outside noise. Lawnmowers have ruined a few good hunts now because of this.

These are a few issues I look to address, hence the upgrade question. I don't really care to drop a big chunk of cash all at once on this so my questions is, if you were to make the upgrades a little at a time, In what order would you begin based on importance? I'm thinking: 1) Sunray x1 probe, 2) 11" Pro Coil, then 3) Headphones, maybe Sunray Pro golds.

Let me know what changes you would make with this setup, in what order, and how important you think these changes would be. Thank you, JJ

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
I have only had my Explorer II for a little over a month or so now. I am kind of with you on the pin point button (But I haven't tried it up in trees yet :) ). It probably is just a lack of experience, but I have good luck pin pointing in the hunt mode and I also have the Sunray Probe. It is great, so I would say the Probe would be my first buy if I didn't have one.
I use the Sunray Pro Gold headset. It works very well and I think they are very comfortable. The leather ear muff are soft and really block out the outside noise well. The only problem I have had with them was I left them in a hot car and the adhesive that bonds the earmuff got soft and sticky.
I called Sunray and they said I could send them in or they told me how to fix them myself by cleaning the adhesive off with mineral spirits and then reattaching the muff using contact cement. Took me about 30 minuets to do and they have been as good as new. I would say the Pro Golds for your second buy.
I haven't used the Pro Coil yet, but sure hear good things about it.

~KANSAS~

Cuerno

Jan 31, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
I pinpoint in Discrimination Mode because 90% of the time I hunt trashy site, it will not be easy to use the standard pinpoint mode at a trashy sites. After hearing a good signal while still in discrimination mode I come at it from different angles to see if it stays in the same 3 to 4 inch diameter area and that it's not a big target like a soda can(raise the coil about 5 inches and swing again, if you still hear it it junk), it should sound and repeat good from at least two angles which will always be north and south of each other, As you approach the target and you first hear the target tone I eye ball the spot on the ground, I then walk around to the opposite side of the target (180 degrees) and swing the coil again and eye ball the new location that I first hear the target, the two locations should be a couple of inches from each other, now your coin should be in between the two locations but coins on edge will be alittle off. On very deep signals the standard pinpoint will not lock on so learn to pinpoint in discrimination mode. And yes get the X-1 probe first then a small coil like the minelab 7.5 or the 6" excelerator then save up all your coins and get a E-Trac. Happy Trails 2 U..

Tips:
1. A good signal repeats but if you slow down the swing and the signal disappears its junk…
2. Don’t waste time trying to make an iffy signal into good one, its deep iron…
3. After you dig a hole and the targets moves outside the hole its junk…
4. Real deep signal 10” or more, will disappear after a lot of dirt is removed, keep digging and check the sides of the hole...
5. If the detector has feed back noise when the coil is not moving, back off the sensitivity, my best finds have been with low sensitivity.
6. Start your swing at your right side then go to left side and back to your right side, should take 4 seconds to complete at a very slow speed.
5. This is a very accurate tone sounding machine and the visual ID part is only for reference, learn the difference between high iron sound and high coin sound, the coin sound will have a fluty 3 to 4 notes over the the target.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
When pin pointing with the Explorer 2 it is important to make sure your coil is no where near the target. Start your swing at least 1 ft from your target, then do the criss cross method. Dont get carried away with heavier big coils for your machine. The extra depth is minimal, all you are doing is covering a bigger area. Bigger coils are more prone to interference. You will find you will have to reduce your sensitivity when using a bigger coil, also a bigger coil is harder to pin point. I would recommend going the other way, get a Coiltek Joey coil. It is very light still 10 inches covering a reasonable area, it is easy to pin point and great it trashy areas. Of the bigger coils I would recommend the Coiltek 15 inch Wot coil. As far as pinpointing probes I use the Sunray in line probe on my machine and love it. One problem with the Explorer 2 is the weight of the machine, get a swingy thing and you can detect all day with ease. I have been using the Explorer 2 since it was released and have found thousands of coins goodies etc with
it. I have also got and Etrac but believe for general detecting the Explorer2 is the better machine. In fact my Etrac stays at home now I am back using my Explorer 2 again. seeya Neilo

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the black 10.5" stock coil and it works well don't waste your money on the pro coil. If you do, I'll buy your black one. (cheap of course) :)

OP
OP
dogcaught

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
Thanks for all the advice and recommendations fellas. There was allot of great information offered. I did order the x-1 probe and mailed off my upper shaft today. Being the DIY type of guy that I am, I spent about an hour in my basement forging a temporary upper shaft from aluminum tubing while mine is being sent off to mate with an x-1 probe. ;D I'm just the type of guy who gets a little frustrated paying $40 (new upper shaft) for $1.50 worth of material. The temporary upper shaft turned out pretty sweet. Not to take any business away from doc's swingy thingy, but anyone with two hands could make their own version for far less than $30. I know the guy is just trying to make a buck but it seems like more shameless price gouging because its "metal detecting related." I believe my next venture will be to find a quality set of headphones. I will stick with the 1050 coil for now. Thanks again for all the advice and feedback fellas. JJ

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dogcaught said:
Thanks for all the advice and recommendations fellas. There was allot of great information offered. I did order the x-1 probe and mailed off my upper shaft today. Being the DIY type of guy that I am, I spent about an hour in my basement forging a temporary upper shaft from aluminum tubing while mine is being sent off to mate with an x-1 probe. ;D I'm just the type of guy who gets a little frustrated paying $40 (new upper shaft) for $1.50 worth of material. The temporary upper shaft turned out pretty sweet. Not to take any business away from doc's swingy thingy, but anyone with two hands could make their own version for far less than $30. I know the guy is just trying to make a buck but it seems like more shameless price gouging because its "metal detecting related." I believe my next venture will be to find a quality set of headphones. I will stick with the 1050 coil for now. Thanks again for all the advice and feedback fellas. JJ

Just make sure you clarify right or left swing for the probe. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
dogcaught

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
Iron Patch said:
dogcaught said:

Thanks IP, I made sure to tell them I was a righty. Good experience with sunray so far but they sure could use an 800 number. They are located just across the state from me so hopefully it doesn't take too long before I get to try it out. JJ

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dogcaught said:
Iron Patch said:
dogcaught said:

Thanks IP, I made sure to tell them I was a righty. Good experience with sunray so far but they sure could use an 800 number. They are located just across the state from me so hopefully it doesn't take to long before I get to try it out. JJ

Yep Ralph is pretty good so it shouldn't be too long. The added weight might take you a little by surprise but you should get used to it. When I haven't used the probe for a while I find it takes a few hunts to feel normal again.

OP
OP
dogcaught

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
Iron Patch said:
dogcaught said:
Iron Patch said:
dogcaught said:

Thanks IP, I made sure to tell them I was a righty. Good experience with sunray so far but they sure could use an 800 number. They are located just across the state from me so hopefully it doesn't take to long before I get to try it out. JJ

Yep Ralph is pretty good so it shouldn't be too long. The added weight might take you a little by surprise but you should get used to it. When I haven't used the probe for a while I find it takes a few hunts to feel normal again.

Thanks for the heads up, IP. I spent another 5 minutes in my basement finding materials to concoct JJ's swingy thingy. Works just fine. (Sorry Doc, but not for $30 ) Ralph was great and look forward to doing business with him again. JJ

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
buy best quality closed cups, peltor stile headphones,its realy inportant if you hunt all day long.use original 10 or 8 mine lab coils, they are the same characteristic only size is diferent.litle joy is more sensitive for tiny fings and most inportant all the time play with sensitivity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread