A question about x-1 probe (etrac)

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
I was just about to purchase one (sun ray probe) but am having second thoughts. What has caused my second thoughts is the realization that the coil cable will hence be external. May or may not be a big thing, but that was one of the many nice features of the etrac over my old detector. I could probably do close to as well with either a garrett pointer pro or a pistol probe. Any opinions -- I know it sounds silly, but it is nice not worrying about the cable getting caught, less stress on junction with coil, etc...

Thanks!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Jon! Love that pro pointer, works like a charm and has a bit more flexibility than the mounted units. If we get out again this year, hopefully you'll get to see some of the guys using each type and you'll get some ideas on your preference.

How's the ground down your way? Got snow on it yet?

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Tim,
We got kind of an inch or so, not enough to completely hide the grass. Hear you guys got a lot. People outside Chicagoland don't realize that the northburbs can end up with a foot and the southburbs nothing. Although you may not consider Elgin part of Chicagoland. Thanks, I've seen the pro pointer in use and do like how the audio gives you proximity. I've seen people with sunrays but never seen them actually in use. I am hoping to get out here in this warm snap.
--Jon

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy one..... GET THE SUNRAY! Can't even compare using anything else.

The only thing having the cable internally does is look pretty. So do you want a pretty boy detector or something that's kicka$$. I rest my case. :thumbsup:

The cable being caught is not an issue if it's wrapped well.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
The Sunray x1 probe does perform better than the Garrett pro pointer, I have both. The pistol probe will cause interference with the Etrac. The only draw back with the X1 is the additional weight it gives your detector. The big plus is it will discriminate because it uses your detectors circuitry this is great in littered areas easily finding your target in amongst trash. You can also use your X1 probe to make up discrimination patterns for your machine, remember it is another mini coil connected just the same as the main coil. good hunting Seeya neilo :thumbsup:

DetectoDude

May 2, 2004
So. Ca.
SUNRAY! I had one on my DFX, when I went over to Minelab I bought it at the same time. I wouldn't want to be without it! If you mount the bracket for the probe on the upper part of the handle, between the arm cuff and the grip it will help the balance. A big plus is you never have to worry about batteries in the pinpointer. ENJOY!

Cuerno

Jan 31, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the X-1 probe and It's great having the external coil cord when your changing coils. No more then two minutes when you change coil size if your other coils are already mounted on there own lower rods.

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
I had a Garrett (sold it), and still have a Pistol Probe, an Automax, and a Sunray. Wanna buy them? Except of the Sunray of course! :) Man, there is nothing like "hearing" the same exact sound in the hole as you heard to make you dig it in the first place. Remember, other probes are all metal meaning everything that is near the target will make a noise. Do you want to dig 8" in hard dirt only to find a piece of junk, then finding the real target was in the side of the hole and you missed it? I just can't imagine using anything else!

As for wrapping the coil cable instead of it going through the shaft, i use more than one coil and this is just a plus in my opinion when changing them. The probe cable is not an issue with me as far as tangling or being inconvenient. Not sure why, thought it would be but it's not.

Disclaimer, not a pro by any means, but I know what I like and thought I'd share it FWIW!

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
hey all,
thanks for the input. I just ordered the x-1 probe and shaft...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread