Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Explorer since 2000. I ain't complaining. :tongue3: It's a dream machine on my old field sites. (salt shore to but I don't hunt it much)

It does everything well but like any other detector you have to put the time in to learn the language.

Attachments

• 10years1.jpg
    10years1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 532
  • 10years1.jpg
    10years1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 517

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Explorer since 2000. I ain't complaining. :tongue3: It's a dream machine on my old field sites. (salt shore to but I don't hunt it much)

It does everything well but like any other detector you have to put the time in to learn the language.
Ha! The proof is in the pudding Huh Chris!
The explorer is probably one of the best machines ever built.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
Iron Patch said:

Ha! The proof is in the pudding Huh Chris!
The explorer is probably one of the best machines ever built.

How many deep rusty nails I haven't dug since making the change made it worth every penny!

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought the SE Pro in January. Have only been able to get out for a few weeks with it. Still new with it but have found a 1904 Barber dime, 1907 Barber quarter, and an 1861 Seated dime. All these finds were in parks that have been hunted for more than 35 years.
I think I'm gonna like mine!

OP
OP
outdoors

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
GTI2500, GTAX550, MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO,
PROPOINTER, GARRETT AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks guys for the reply back about the explorer se pro detector, I think my mind is made up
and I will be buying the explorer for my next machine. :blob1:
the event will happen in about two - three weeks. all the information that I hear about
it has been great :read2: :thumbsup: thanks again everyone.....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outdoors said:
thanks guys for the reply back about the explorer se pro detector, I think my mind is made up
and I will be buying the explorer for my next machine. :blob1:
the event will happen in about two - three weeks. all the information that I hear about
it has been great :read2: :thumbsup: thanks again everyone.....

4-H is the man you want to see about this! :thumbsup:

He taught me everything I didn't want to know. ;D

mgtmadness

Dec 25, 2009
Bath ,NY
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i
Dont let the pic fool you. It also depends on how much you get out. My dad has an explorer xs and the total of his finds since he bought it when it first came out, will fit in one of his display cases(Iron Patches case).
His 3000 dollar GP 3500 found a small copper nugget when we took a trip to Stanton Arizona in 2008, all the hype and no gold. That was a waste of money. Now it collects dust, and will probably never be used again.

It all depends how much you get out. You can have a five thousand or 1500 dollar detector and still not find what your looking for, if you don't get out everyday and use it.

10 years of finds adds up when you get out.

mgtmadness

Dec 25, 2009
Bath ,NY
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i
ohh forgot to comment on it. Explorers are nice machines, they find metal like they are supposed to. Even silver.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if you look at IP's post you'll see it says "since 2000" that's ten years worth.
but you're right you have to get out, but you also have to do research to find places to go
and then have the patience to learn what your machine is telling you.
however, some machines just won't go deep, some do. the key is to
buy one that will do what you want it to do.
if you don't want to dig 10 inches to retrieve a silver dime, don't buy an explorer or etrac.
if you want to just dig coins an Ace 250 will do that for a nice price. if you want to find gold they make them for that too
before you go and buy one, check with other people in your area and ask them what they use and why.

OP
OP
outdoors

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been detecting for about 10 years now, using gti2500-gtax550 detectors not new to
this hobby let you know... just want to change detectors to something new and different.
depth don't bother me if need to dig deep I will, gti2500 goes very deep in allmetal deep-
seeking mode let me tell you that. was thinking that the explorer would be an up grade to
what I already use to start the year right :sign13:

mgtmadness

Dec 25, 2009
Bath ,NY
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i
My dad is a life time member of GPAA/ LDMA. He didnt find it would be worth it to pay, I think $25.00 maybe $50.00 or was it 100? to go hunt on the weavers, right near stanton camp area.
I met Tom Massie there that year.
We were there a month.
I was kinda disappointed in him. He paid for the trip for both of us and he mostly Jogged, hung out camp, out a few hours here and there.
Our tent was set up, I think it was 3 places to the left, of when you drive into Stanton camp area.
We met Rooster, Hollywood, and a few others.
I had a good time, but being with my dad,(he paid for the trip) I pretty much hung out with him and went where he went, (well except for his joggin)

I don't think it is a bitter comment. We picked the detector up on our way out to AZ.But was showed how to use it by one of the Minelab dealers that was camping in Stanton AZ.
We didnt find anything with the GP nor his explorer(I didnt have any detectors myself)
It is a waste of money if you buy something for 3k use it a few times out of a month,(nothing found) then it sits in a closet for years, never gonna be used in gold country again.Especially when fuel costs was 1600 dollars there and back, money on all the food, and repairs, etc,etc.
Alot of the land there was off limits, unless you were a member of a specific club out there.and lots of regular posted property. Like the whole side of the hill where the potato patch was/is, that whole side of the hill was off limits. Why pay for a years membership when you would hunt it a few times, then never see it again.

The people we talked to that found the nuggets went to the Patch, which we weren't allowed to go. Only paid members were allowed to go. Like only paid members were only allowed to go hunt on Weaver's.
We werent gonna break any rules hunting there, we werent gonna sneak on someone else's land to sneak at hunting.

Would I do it again? Yes. I would make sure I had my own vehicle, money, etc next time.
Ohh and the drywasher we set up :(

ohh and when I say waste of money, I mean.
If you dont make your money back even some of it. It is a waste of money. Not that it was my money.
If you spend 6k out there and back and bring home 30 dollars in gold from the outing, then yeah it is a waste, a fun time, but a waste of money.
Notice, I didnt say a waste of time, because the time getting out and spending time with my dad was fun, even though he jogged alot.

hehe, the thing is the more people in the Stanton camp were having heart attacks, the more my dad jogged.
ambulance was called there at least 5 or six times for heart attack victims, even a chopper was flown in, so it isn't good exercise, especially when 96% or more are overweight, and 100% of the heart attack patients/victims were over weight.
I never did say it was cake walk.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
how can you expect to find anything with a machine you just purchased ?
it takes time to figure out what MD is telling you and a few hours from somebody doesn't help you
find things, it just gives you about enough time to figure out how to swing it and play with a couple of the settings.
I picked up a new etrac at christmas and use it at least 3 times a week now and i still haven't learned even 5% of what this MD can do. It sounds like you expect it to find valuable stuff every time you pick it up. did you want it to dig for you too ?

OP
OP
outdoors

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks again for the information, just ordered the explorer se pro yesterday they said it
should be here in about 6 days can't wait to start the year off with a new detector :hello2:
been using the explorer emulator that I down loaded from the minelabowners.com portal to get use to the menu and all the adjustments
and changes that you can make. will be asking questions about the settings hope
some of you owners of this detector can answer them, thanks again :read2:

OP
OP
outdoors

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(IRON PATCH) you said that you hunted the salt shore (beach) but not much anymore,
I will be hunting the beaches on the west coast (San Diego) what settings would you recommend
for the beach on the explorer se pro, just ordered it the other day. just wondering if you
could start me off in the right direction with your (I think an experts opinion on this detector)
and the best settings to start off with ....
(4-H) your opinion is also requested on this subject, your input would also be appreciated :dontknow:

OP
OP
outdoors

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MT Pockets said:
From what I gather, You seem a bit upset with your "Dad" who may have been having a better time than yourself..
You referred to his jogging a few times. and That you "Yourself" didn't have your own machine.

Would you of had a better trip if Dad bought you a machine for yourself to hunt with?

were you able to use his minelab... Those Gold machines take a little bit to get used to.

But you can turn on and go once you get the basics.

1 Month trip.. That sure would be nice.. But, I can understand your point.. You may have been getting bored.. There's not much to do in that area...

Your dad must enjoy THing to purchase the machine... They aren't cheap..
Maybe to him, he doesn't care if it sits in the closet or not..

There are other Gold spots that aren't that far away..

If he's doesn't plan on using it again, have you talked to him about selling it and buying a detector for "YOU" this way Both of you can get out and Hunt locally?

Coins, relics etc..

From looking next to your name , I see several "Whites" machines listed that you use. or have

why didn't you bring one of them along during your vacation..

Unless you bought them afterwards..
how did this all get started, it was a topic about the exolorer se pro not a debat about
camping and everything that goes wrong when out in nature and if your detector is used alot
to make sure that you find something or not. or if the trip was a waste of money, it's never
a waste of money if you like doing that sort of activity...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outdoors said:
(IRON PATCH) you said that you hunted the salt shore (beach) but not much anymore,
I will be hunting the beaches on the west coast (San Diego) what settings would you recommend
for the beach on the explorer se pro, just ordered it the other day. just wondering if you
could start me off in the right direction with your (I think an experts opinion on this detector)
and the best settings to start off with ....
(4-H) your opinion is also requested on this subject, your input would also be appreciated :dontknow:

I read this days ago but forgot to come back and reply.

Pretty simple, just use ironmask set at maybe -10 to get used to it. The sens. you can run near max if in auto and the detector will keep things stable. I would also max the gain to boost the volume and make the targets as loud as possible. It's not really any different then other detcetors, just the fancy term of ironmask for discrimination.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread