Where to Purchase?

spdrus

Aug 25, 2010
Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a Minelab Sovereign GT.

I am in NJ and am not sure whether I should find a local dealer (if there even are any in NJ??) or buy from Kellyco online.

It seems like Kellyco has some pretty nice extras when you buy from them (like a pinpointer/headphones etc.) but am not sure how long Kellyco would take to ship or even if they have these models in stock.

Any advice for someone in NJ?

Thanks!

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend 4-H. He is a regular poster on T-net. Im sure he will be along to read this at some point today. He'll treat you right. :icon_thumright:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many dealers that advertise in Western & Eastern Treasures magazine and Lost Treasure. The prices will aways be the same and some places throw in stuff that they claim has a high $$ value when in fact many times it is supplied from the detector factory free anyway. You have to read the ads carefully. If calling a dealer ask about extras and what is included with the sale. Try to buy locally if possible so you can visit the store and try out the various products. I think 4-H sells Minelab.

You will love the Sov GT too.

OP
OP
S

spdrus

Aug 25, 2010
Thanks all!

I did find two 'local' Minelab dealers. I say 'local' because each is about a 2-hour drive from my home.

I haven't called them yet so I don't know if they have the GTs in stock or what (if any) extras come with the detector not what their prices would be.

I've been leaning toward Kellyco since they seem to have some good extras and they seem to have a pretty good rep online. Looks like with the GTs price (on Kellyco) is also included the battery pack, 10v wall charger and some options package.

I'm afraid if I buy from a dealer I'll have to buy the battery pack separately, and the wall charger separately, and the headphones separately, and a pinpointer (for inland use) separately etc etc.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If kellyco throws all that stuff in then I doubt you will have to buy it seperetly somewhere else. Cabela's sells minelab too if you have one near you. :thumbsup: I still think Mike 4-H would be your best bet. He's an honest guy, and has great customer relations. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

spdrus

Aug 25, 2010
Thanks all!

It seems like I should contact Mike at 4-H - LOL!

I will do so - I've contacted my two 'local' dealers vis email, as well so I'll see what everyone is offering/who has what in stock and then make my decision from there.

Thanks!

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
did you ever consider buying used? a lot of reputable people give great deals on their detectors on this and other forums. (i have 3 detectors,bought them all used and got great deal on each one)

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
johnnyboy25 said:
did you ever consider buying used? a lot of reputable people give great deals on their detectors on this and other forums. (i have 3 detectors,bought them all used and got great deal on each one)
spdrus said:
Thanks all!

It seems like I should contact Mike at 4-H - LOL!

I will do so - I've contacted my two 'local' dealers vis email, as well so I'll see what everyone is offering/who has what in stock and then make my decision from there.

Thanks!
I always say support your local businesses. Make sure whoever you decide to go with, that they would be willing to go beyond the sale, setup your machine and get you started. Ask them to show you how to properly dig and recover a target. They should be willing to show you. If they seem to be too busy for you then seek another dealer. Prices will be the same no matter what dealer you chose.
I take my local customers out with me and make sure they start off understanding the basics.
Let me know if we can help you find a reputable dealer in your area or get you set up with a machine from us. We're members of the Better Business Bureau and have a pretty good reputation.

Take care,
Mike

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That battery pack and charger Kellyco says they are giving you are included from the factory no matter where you buy it. You get two battery packs, one for alkalies and one for recharging with the charger. These are standard with the purchase.

OP
OP
S

spdrus

Aug 25, 2010
Thanks again.

Mike at 4-H: That is really good advice.

I am trying to assess which local dealer seems more responsive and helpful. I could use the 'training' as I'm totally new at this.

I've read a LOT so far and watched a lot of videos on YouTube showing how to use different detectors in different environments. I sure could use the one-on-one training.

I will *probably* go with a local dealer since I do like supporting local business , as well.

Mike, since you're a dealer can you answer the following: As a 'newbie' it seems like the stuff Kellyco provides with the detectors can save a fair bit of money down the line. Why do local dealers seem reluctant to offer any incentives? It's not like their prices are any cheaper.

Thanks for the great advice.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I travel a quite a bit... one day recently I had a few hours in Orlando and decided to visit Kellyco, just to see what their store was like....

Their phones rang off the hook, but no one bothered to offer to help me as I wandered around for about 20 minutes. That was OK since there wasn't anything I really needed at the time, but it was surprising considering there were 6 or more sales people there... ???

Other than a few discounted magazines, I left empty handed. All in all I was not impressed by the showroom or the atmosphere, but that was just me. And I also went out the door happy to have a great local dealer. :)

There is a NJ dealer that I am aware of who is very sharp, if you want his name or even the name of my local (PA) dealer who is also superb, let me know and I'll PM you. Like the other guy a few posts back, I don't want to violate any rules by naming names publicly.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
spdrus said:
Thanks again.

Mike at 4-H: That is really good advice.

I am trying to assess which local dealer seems more responsive and helpful. I could use the 'training' as I'm totally new at this.

I've read a LOT so far and watched a lot of videos on YouTube showing how to use different detectors in different environments. I sure could use the one-on-one training.

I will *probably* go with a local dealer since I do like supporting local business , as well.

Mike, since you're a dealer can you answer the following: As a 'newbie' it seems like the stuff Kellyco provides with the detectors can save a fair bit of money down the line. Why do local dealers seem reluctant to offer any incentives? It's not like their prices are any cheaper.

Thanks for the great advice.
A lot of dealers offer something. You need to ask. Say, "ok, if I am going to make this investment with you, would you be willing to throw anything extra in the package?" Most will agree and accommodate. Shop around make some phone calls and keep it simple. Have fun.

OP
OP
S

spdrus

Aug 25, 2010
Thanks, Mike

That is very good advice.

It doesn't hurt to ask, right.

Just in case anybody's interested, as I said above I emailed my two 'local' dealers and KellyCo. Within one day each of the dealers got back to me and answered some of my initial questions via email. KellyCo has still not emailed me back yet...just an FYI for you guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread