help on deep rusty nails

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can see if you can get a double blip on it. Due to the rust the detector sees a better target and reports it as good. The only solution is to turn up disc and lower sens so much it won't hardly read any targets. Or you could ignore that number.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is your discrimination set at? Low disc and using the null to your advantage is a great thing on the higher end Minelabs.

OP
OP
shallowdigger65

shallowdigger65

Sep 20, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Iron Patch said:
What is your discrimination set at? Low disc and using the null to your advantage is a great thing on the higher end Minelabs.

I have the discrimination set in coin mode, but the problem is the nails sound like silver and usually reads the same number that silver does.

OP
OP
shallowdigger65

shallowdigger65

Sep 20, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Sandman said:
You can see if you can get a double blip on it. Due to the rust the detector sees a better target and reports it as good. The only solution is to turn up disc and lower sens so much it won't hardly read any targets. Or you could ignore that number.

Thanks, but what do you mean by a double blip?

Detectorfreak74

Jul 2, 2010
UTAH
one... discriminate #40 #2....are the rusty nails square or made by blacksmith if they are at that time they used any kind of metal the could get ahold of and u are using 28 frq #3.... disc.-1-2-3 all metal switch back and forth on deep targets ........... this is coming from a safari user

NoNeck

Aug 31, 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Ace 250, Garrett PP, Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am having this same prob and just talked to tech support yeterday they want me to return the unit so they can check it out and if it's something with the unit they will replace it with my choose of a new one. I have been getting rusty nails and or wire on the coin setting and even turned the sens down to 10 and will still get them.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NoNeck said:
I am having this same prob and just talked to tech support yeterday they want me to return the unit so they can check it out and if it's something with the unit they will replace it with my choose of a new one. I have been getting rusty nails and or wire on the coin setting and even turned the sens down to 10 and will still get them.

You did try a factory reset? I'd say once every couuple of months on average my explorer becomes wacky and I need to do it. I would hope that's the first thing the Minelab agent would have asked you?

NoNeck

Aug 31, 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
NoNeck said:

You did try a factory reset? I'd say once every couuple of months on average my explorer becomes wacky and I need to do it. I would hope that's the first thing the Minelab agent would have asked you?

No mine is brand new maybe 4 hr's use. How do you do the factory reset on it?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NoNeck said:
Iron Patch said:
NoNeck said:

No mine is brand new maybe 4 hr's use. How do you do the factory reset on it?

You hold the power button in until it starts playing the tune. (about 5 seconds)

Minelab didn't mention that? Scary who must be answering the phones there.

NoNeck

Aug 31, 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I just done this reset and an air test on coin mode I would get a signal with a rusty nail sometimes I would not and the VDI would be 40. Wish it was not raining today so I could go out and try it some more.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NoNeck said:
OK I just done this reset and an air test on coin mode I would get a signal with a rusty nail sometimes I would not and the VDI would be 40. Wish it was not raining today so I could go out and try it some more.

How is your sensitivilty set? That can easily be contributing to your problem. (If it turns out the detector is ok)

You should make every effort to be sure there actually is a problem, because when Minelab gets it all they're going to do is a few tests, and if it passes, right back to you it will go. To be honest, in all you wrote so far about 80% sounds like issues being new, and the other 20% a possible detector problem. Next time out you should really back off your sens. and see if that helps.

OP
OP
shallowdigger65

shallowdigger65

Sep 20, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
dingdong said:
take a minute and dig its deep could be silver or big penny surprise surprise u never no i check all iffy sounds u r out ther to dig right ???????

good point, just gets a little frustrating digging nails in areas where I have found pre-1900 coins

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...I was told that even the most experienced users get fooled and dig nails every once in awhile....But I am like you I would not know the difference of deep silver or a deep nail......Joe

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe(TX) said:
...I was told that even the most experienced users get fooled and dig nails every once in awhile....But I am like you I would not know the difference of deep silver or a deep nail......Joe

How many years do you guys have on the detector?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shallowdigger65 said:
Iron Patch,

I have about six months in the field with the Safari.

Jim

Not using it on zero disc. are you? I know my explorer is the same way wide open. (nails sound too good) At least that's what I recall, it's been a long time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread