705 target readings

gambler13

May 27, 2010
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Xterra 705
Was talking to club members and surprised how many goods finds actually id as junk. Figured I'd do a test and here are the results. Cleaned out an area in all metal mode and placed a clad dime on surface, 36 vid reading. Buried same coin 2", -6 vid reading. Clad quarter on surface, 42 vid, buried at 2", 32 to 34 vid. Tried my test garden of a few months with coins at varying depths from 5" to 9" and readings seem more accurate. Did do noise cancel and ground balance before any tests. Is the reading off because it is a new bury test? This was using the MF concentric coil. Any feedback appreciated.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gambler,
I cannot say I've ever used a 705 but my detecting experience goes back to the (early 70's?) bfo days. Back then the top end md's had "needle" id's. They were not 100% accurate then and the LCD displays today are not 100% accurate. Too many people place too much on the display, which I consider a "bells and whistles" add-on. After the appropriate amount of time on the machine, you must train your EARS not EYES to determine the target. A metal detector in INCAPABLE of lying, but you MUST learn what it is telling you. Gl. TTC

OP
OP
G

gambler13

May 27, 2010
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Xterra 705
I agree totally with what you're saying but figured it should be able to be fairly accurate at up to 4". Rechecked my test garden readings and all deep coins, 7" to 9" give a -6 to -8 reading. Need some 705 users to tell what they get on their machine readings.

wyatt

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2010
MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Gambler,
I've learned to use FP (coin and treasure mode) in AM mode.
I reject segment #48 in all four DISC patterns so as not to miss any silver dollars.
I use 3 tones as it's easier for me keep track and recognize the different sounds.
And it's true; you have to train your ears, not your eyes.
When my 705 hits on a target, I go through the DISC patterns and and THEN look at the screen
to see which segment is flashing and how deep it is. That pretty much determines whether I dig or not.
The 705 is a varied and complex machine and I'll never be able to utilize all it's features so I try to
make as simple as possibe and hope to learn something new that I can use next time out.
Another member advised me to turn off tracking and ease up on sensitivity which helped.
If your audio is too busy, tweak GROUND BALANCE and NOISE CANCEL according to the manual.
If a target sounds good and the numbers are close, it's worth digging for.
Hope this helps and good luck out there! The more you use the 705 the more you'll like it!!
I do.
Wyatt......

Because I hunt primarily old properties dating back to the 1850's, my next move is to get a 6" DD coil
with 18.75 kHz. KellyCo sells them for $160. plus S&H.

utah1066

Nov 10, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
TITAN 3000 XD ,DFX, Minelab X-Terra 705 L Rods
wyatt said:
Gambler,
I've learned to use FP (coin and treasure mode) in AM mode.
I reject segment #48 in all four DISC patterns so as not to miss any silver dollars.
I use 3 tones as it's easier for me keep track and recognize the different sounds.
And it's true; you have to train your ears, not your eyes.
When my 705 hits on a target, I go through the DISC patterns and and THEN look at the screen
to see which segment is flashing and how deep it is. That pretty much determines whether I dig or not.
The 705 is a varied and complex machine and I'll never be able to utilize all it's features so I try to
make as simple as possibe and hope to learn something new that I can use next time out.
Another member advised me to turn off tracking and ease up on sensitivity which helped.
If your audio is too busy, tweak GROUND BALANCE and NOISE CANCEL according to the manual.
If a target sounds good and the numbers are close, it's worth digging for.
Hope this helps and good luck out there! The more you use the 705 the more you'll like it!!
I do.
Wyatt......

Because I hunt primarily old properties dating back to the 1850's, my next move is to get a 6" DD coil
with 18.75 kHz. KellyCo sells them for $160. plus S&H.
you say you reject 48 so you can find silver dollars? you lost me there would you not allow it ?

goldseeker4000

Mar 5, 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gambler, he means when he is in any of the 4 hunting modes there are bars on the bottom lcd and those indicate what id #'s are blocked from recieving a clear target id. If you scan to the right to where the # 48 is then go to accept/reject and undo it. The bar for that # will disapear. What this means is the detector will allow the signal for silver dollars to come thru loud and clear and not be masked out. Put different objects down and test to see what the # are and play with the accept/reject. sometimes you may need to open up the # on each side of the desired target #. I found this out the hard way because some pennies, nickels and dimes were reading just toone side or another, sometimes negative. I was hunting for coins primarily in #2 hunting mode and not in all metal. Now I opened up #'s 4,6,8, and a couple around the dime penny nickel and silver dollar areas. But I will be hunting primarily in All Metal and switching to one of the modes to varify then backto all metal. Because I was not hunting in all metal last year I didn't find as many old coins as my friend did who was running his Explorer in all metal. I missed some V nickels old wheaties and a 1882 Indian head penny. I got one 1925 indian head nickel and a few wheaties and a 1930's rexal drug store good luck token with the reversed swastica and a budda looking dude. I will take a pic of it and post on this forum. I missed alot of good targets by relying too much on visual id. I won't make that mistake again.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many different conditions that will make the ID numbers be off , as we do not know the makeup of the soil that you are working , Items of metal, water content of the soil, tuning of the machine .
The list is long , You will learn to average the numbers over time and use the audio to make the ID .
And the conditions will change as you move about .
It seems to me also that all the tuning on the 705 is based on a nickle for the base average .

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A freshly dug coin will read different than one that has been in the ground a while. I would not get discouraged. If I were you I would put it in all metal and dig every good repeatable signal to get to know the machine to see how it acts and then take note on what the number was. If the numbers locked on or only jumped up or down by a few digits I would dig it. If it ran from one end of the spectrum to the other and it was not deep I would shy away from it and not dig it. I had an x terra 50 with the 6" DD HF coil and it was by far the very best coin shooting machine I have ever owned and I wish I still had that same set up and may even get another one some day for a back up. Do not be discouraged as the xterras are good machines in my opinion. Tim

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the 705 much differant than the 70? The ID numbers sound simular.

Just this week I dug a buffalo nickel that mostly came across as a junk reading with a tad bit of high tone so I dug to be sure what it was. I got a nice surprise out of it.

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
I have the same problem with both the 70 and 705, the numbers just jump all over the place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread