Advice on X50

R

Reddackel

Hi Everyone,

This past weekend, I bought a Xterra 50 with the 18.75 coil. I have never detected before. I don't know the slightest thing about the "how" of this hobby; I only knew I wanted one forever. The hobby truly appeals to my interests. Anyway, I'd appreciate any opinions and advice that you guys may have. At this point, I can't wait to get the box and dive into the woods behind my house. I'm sure this won't be realistic as I'll have to read the manual first, but any advice about the brand/model I chose, ease of use, and any other words of wisdom would be great!

Thanks,
Red

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reddackel said:
Hi Everyone,

This past weekend, I bought a Xterra 50 with the 18.75 coil. I have never detected before. I don't know the slightest thing about the "how" of this hobby; I only knew I wanted one forever. The hobby truly appeals to my interests. Anyway, I'd appreciate any opinions and advice that you guys may have. At this point, I can't wait to get the box and dive into the woods behind my house. I'm sure this won't be realistic as I'll have to read the manual first, but any advice about the brand/model I chose, ease of use, and any other words of wisdom would be great!

Thanks,
Red

Hey Red,

Actually, you pretty much can just whip it out of the box and run into the woods swinging! Depending on which batteries you are using. If you bought some rechargeables, read the book while charging them up. If you are using regulars, run out and take the book with you! ;D ;D Use it for reference while listening to all the different beeps' tones, and what they refer to!

That's pretty much what I did with my Quattro.

ooooops!I just saw the "never detected before" part. Sorry! Here's what you do: get your hubby to go outside with a handfull of all kinds of coins, some gold jewelry, and some silver jewelry. Tell him to use a knife. Just push the blade all the way in (about 4 inches),and wiggle a little. Then drop an object into the slot (Don't take a plug as it will be too easy for you to see the hole). Gently step on the slot forcing it back together. MAKE SURE HE MARKS THE EXACT LOCATION OF THESE DEPOSITS! Have him make sort of a treasure map of your back yard. You wouldn't want to accidentally lose something valuable! Try to put some coins flat and some on edge (they sound off differently).

While he's doing that, read the manual, and play a little inside.

Once he is done, it's your turn to go outside and see how many of the treasures you can find! Later, you can experiment with silver coins vs. clads, different depths, what different metals sound like, etc.

Good Luck-Mike

OP
OP
R

Reddackel

Thanks Mike!

I have an outing planned tomorrow. I can't wait!!!

I think I'm getting the hang of the detector. I took the advice and tested coins in the yard. Well, I found those, so hopefully tomorrow I'll find that 50K cache of long lost silver..ha!

Take care,
Red

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions