MT. Holly Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E TRAC with sunray probe

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Pro, Vaquero, Cortes
Well, I just got a set of Auvio wireless headphones from a Radio Shack in the next town over. I'm charging the transmitter now and will give them a shot on my DFX tomorrow. I've heard from others they work pretty well. They aren't listed on the RS website but are available in some RS stores.

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ok, I air tested them on my DFX. First, it comes with a rechargable transmitter, charger, charging module that will recharge the transmitter and the headphones if you put rechargable AAAs in the phones. The tone is lower than the DFX without phones but pretty good. The headphones are light in weight and the adjustment is very good making them very comfortable. The cost is $80 and from what little I've used them well worth it. No more cords. :hello2:

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have the Model Number for those Headphones? The ones from RS .
I am checking on the Airheadz now to see what they offer.

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
The Auvio at RS are 33-283. I had to check at a second RS store to find them. The first one didn't have them.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bubba707 said:
The Auvio at RS are 33-283. I had to check at a second RS store to find them. The first one didn't have them.

Thank you Bubba, this makes it easier to call and find. I asked one store and the person there did not even know what I was looking for and kept asking for the model number. LOL

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Last time I checked the Airheadz they were $300.....too much for me. HH

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Yeah, the Airheadz are too rich for my blood. Looking at their website you have to call to get the prices. Reminds me of what my Dad used to say, if you have to ask you can't afford it.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
I saw em today at the Raido Shack here in Harlingen. The transmitter was very small, Just what the Doc ordered. What was the audio like compared to other headphones. I understand that it was not as good as when used without. Thanks for testing them out!!

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
On my DFX the tone was a tad lower that the DXF without phones but otherwise nice, clean audio.

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ok, got my new Vaquero and tried the Auvio phones on that. Worked very well, good tone, clean audio, no detectable lag. These phones are definately going to do the job.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thoughts on wireless headphones. I have done a lot of research over the past few years.

Negatives or drawbacks:
Cost, Battery life on rechargeables, delay time.

I thought I found a good solution only to find the transmitter is no longer sold in the US, frequency reallocation. I was going to get a wireless guitar transmitter and use wireless headphones with the same frequencies.
I tried a couple of wireless sets but one had a severe delay and the other only 3-4 hours battery life and an uncomfortable headset. Looked at others but the were expensive $200 +.

You would thing someone could make an economical low power wireless headset and transmitter for a metal detectors. The V3 is trying but I don,t think they got it right yet.

Ed D.

Grafixwild

Oct 18, 2010
Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm really new at detecting but I use the Auvio on my X-terra 705 and really like them. They have no lag time. The headphones don't block out all all outside noise but they're light and have a 1 volume control for both ears. I didn't like the transmitter sticking out of the jack towards me and didn't like the idea of the MD falling over like they do at times so I bought an 8 inch cord that came with a volume control. I could have done without the volume dial but it was all they had and it was cheap. The cords pretty thin so I looped it around the coil cable and zip tied it to relieve some of the stress. I used sticky sided velcro to mount it on top. So far the thing works great.

I know some folks use an fm transmitter and cheap personal radios but occassionally experience interference.

I have to add, I take a pair of over the ear Sonys (IPod type) just in case.

Attachments

• H1.jpg
    H1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 774

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grafixwild,

What is the exact model number of your headphones. How long does it last and what is the power required for both the headphones and transmitter?

Thanks

Ed D.

Grafixwild

Oct 18, 2010
Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Born2Dtect said:
Grafixwild,

What is the exact model number of your headphones. How long does it last and what is the power required for both the headphones and transmitter?

Thanks

Ed D.

They're #33-283, same unit as Bubba mentioned. The transmitter itself is rechargable and I'm not sure how to get in there if it's battery needs replacing. The headphones take 2 AAA's either regular or rechargable. It comes with a charging unit to charge everything. I haven't used rechargables in the headphones as I have triple AAA's all over the house for some reason but I've got about 10 hrs. on the first set I put in and they're still going. I recharge the transmitter after every use and the longest use was about 4 hours straight and it wasn't dead yet. They ran 70 bucks at RS in Colorado and the cord was about 8. Hope that helps you.

Phil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions