used xterra 70 instead of tesoro vaquero?

Cladder

Sep 30, 2009
Richmond, Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, minelab xterra 70
Got an xterra 70 used instead of a tesoro vaquero because of price and the reviews I read.not sure if I made the descion.I like the read out and different settings.noticed in the neighborhood ib can't have the sensitivity over 18.took a half dollar and tested it in the ground.on the preset coin mode it wouldn't read it past 5 - 6 inches.on all metall mode it would pick it uup????wondering if I am going to miss out on the depth since I went with the exterra instead of a vaquero.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
no X-terra better dont worry and deeper too.

Elbandido

Dec 14, 2008
Vancouver washington
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola/BandidoII u max/Quick draw II/Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
stasys said:
no X-terra better dont worry and deeper too.
You have used Both?
5 inches on a half dollar you think is deeper than a Vaquero? :laughing9:

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure on your setup and ground Balancing .
I know the Xterra with go deeper than 6" and on a coin that size it will go deep .
Something does not sound right with this as you are stating .
And both are very good machines .

Elbandido

Dec 14, 2008
Vancouver washington
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola/BandidoII u max/Quick draw II/Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Daedalus said:
Make sure on your setup and ground Balancing .
I know the Xterra with go deeper than 6" and on a coin that size it will go deep .
Something does not sound right with this as you are stating .
And both are very good machines .
Yes something does not sound rite about that.
Should be a good detector with some practice.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
I dont know why to take so painfully my point that x-terra better? I had cibola and its crap--totaly,sorry to say, I had Tejon its better than cibola and probably better than Vaquero, but its for advanced users and not better like xtera for coins hunting, but gain my point- Tejon not very good, compare with XP goldmaxx power or Deus. if you dont like my point is your choice, but sorry its my. use your vaquero and think its best-I will agree with you :laughing7: Vaquero BEST! if you like

BJ in Okla.

Feb 26, 2004
Central OK.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ's
took a half dollar and tested it in the ground.on the preset coin mode it wouldn't read it past 5 - 6 inches.on all metall mode it would pick it up????wondering if I am going to miss out on the depth since I went with the xterra instead of a vaquero.)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

If i read your post right, this is a fresh planted half dollar ???
You have disturbed the ground and not many detectors will do very well on fresh planted coins.....
Also depends on what your soil make up is.
If the soil is dry, that makes a difference to.

The X-70 vs the Vaquero is like Chevy vs Ford thing.
Its comes down to how well you know the unit that you are using...
And not all units are the same, someone may have the same unit as someone else, and one is deeper than the other.

Luck comes into play to,, if you know your unit real good but, your not lucky enough to have your coil over something good, then you missed it..

HH...BJ

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you ground balance your machine right, it will pick up a clad half at 10" in all metal. Its a bit spotty in coin mode, but can be picked up that deep.

Yes you can crank the sensitivity but remember that anytime you increase your sensitivity you should re-ground balance to get the maximum performance from the machine.

Freshly planted coins in "loose" soil will not be picked up as well by machines. The best thing for you to do is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Learn the machine inside out and pay attention to the tones more than the numbers.

Happy Hunting, :thumbsup:
John, Fort Bedford Metal Detectors

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the vaq after finding treasurenet and reading all the tesoro less is better. I don't have a xterra but the guy I hunt with does. If you don't like tone id or a numerical id or depth meter or ability to change frequencies then you went the wrong way. Hunting with my explorer and buddies exterra we have learned exterra sees deep coins but is more iffy on id than explorer. I would dig deeper targets with unstable numbers just to learn machine. For me vaq was a big dissapointment. It is deep but hunting parks I dont like digging any more than necessary.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I used a Tesoro Vaquero for about two years and really liked the machine. I liked how it broke down into three pieces. The machine was as light as a feather too. I found a V Nik at 9" in very wet ground once with the vaquero. I regret selling it because it was excellent in a wooded environment. Civil War relic hunters tend to stay clear of Minelabs, if you watch some of their vids you will notice most of them are using the Tejon and Vaquero and many times the Fisher f-70.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think they're both good. The Vaquero has a quicker recovery speed, but the 70 should treat you fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread