My first real hunt of the year with the GT and it was a Doozy!

treasurechicNH

Sep 30, 2008
Southern N.H.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex + Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to get out to a field that a family friend gave me permission to hunt last year, which I did and thought I hit it hard..... boy was I wrong! It was one of my best days yet, the field has very little trash besides old iron so signals are few and far between but when you finally do get one its usually a keeper. I had found a few buckles, musket balls and an coin that was too worn to identify there last year but it seemed that this field didnt have much to offer last year. Yeaterday turned out to be decent weather so I decided to give the field another shot with my new GT. Im not one to agree that one machine easily out-performs another, but the GT has me believing it now. In a matter of 3 hours I had 2 colonial buckles, a 1941 quarter, 3 musket balls, a nice 180? ( cant read last number) one cent, my first of this variety and.... my big score was a Washington inaugural button, its not in the best of shape but it has always been on my top ten list of things I wanted to find in this hobby. It appears to be the plain GW variety, which is very rare. If anyone has advice on what my next step with this button should be let me know, I dont know if I should have it professionally examined or what, and who does that kind of thing. Anyway Ill be heading there again tomorrow so Ill let you know if anything else turns up. Im not sure if the pictures came up or not, if not ill try again.
ATTACH]
[/img]

Attachments

• P3260031.JPG
    P3260031.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 599
  • P3260032.JPG
    P3260032.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 609
  • P3260027.JPG
    P3260027.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 593
OP
OP
treasurechicNH

treasurechicNH

Sep 30, 2008
Southern N.H.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont know why the button appears so lightly colored in the picture, its much darker. I guess I need to practice my photo skills!

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!! you need to post in todays finds!!!! good luck on your next hunt, Tim

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the oldies!! I dug my first musket ball today in a long time with my new etrac.
Love the GW button!! :notworthy:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt :icon_thumleft: you gotta love the Sov.GT in fields and farms for those deep digs. Good finds :thumbsup: Jim

OP
OP
treasurechicNH

treasurechicNH

Sep 30, 2008
Southern N.H.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree 100% the GT is the only machine ill need for along time. I found out that that particular GW button is extremely rare (RR) it is listed as WI-8a plain GW , with narrow W

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds there ....... I have the Garrett 1500 and the Garrett AT Pro...........And the Minelab Sovereign .... and when i go out to hunt i still pick the Sovereign as my first choice it is a hard to find a better detector by any maker........ Not even Minelab puts out a better detector for coins & Jewlery than the Sovereign................

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What, the GT land hunts too? I've used mine almost exclusively for beach hunting and can verify that it lives up to it's earned reputation as the go-to beach machine. Three rings and several silver coins on the last two hunts.

Glad to hear it's solid on land as well as I'm going in that direction.

Congrats on the great finds!!! The GW is the find of a lifetime. definately post in today's finds if you haven't already done so.

HH

OP
OP
treasurechicNH

treasurechicNH

Sep 30, 2008
Southern N.H.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ya, your definately missing out if you havent tried your GT on land yet, thats why I chose this machine , it excels on land and beach, not many machines can do that.

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
I have a hard time pin pointing with the gt. I love it and use it mostly at the beach where the hole size does not really matter. I find that both the standard coil and my wot 15 inch tend to pinpoint first in one place then another or maybe I am just doing it wrong. I tried the park but after digging a few holes that weren't even close to the target I gave up. I am thinking of just getting a ace 250 or maybe and at pro. If I could figure out how to pinpoint more accurately I would just stick with the sovereign

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
San Diego Ted, the coils are a double D, which is 2 coils, beside each other, in a D and backwards D shape. The center line between the 2 coils is where you hit - front to back. Where the center piece is inside the coil is where you will be having the hits. Swing it lightly back and forth and you will see that. Once you find its spot, wiggle the coil slightly and move it forward until it stops, and then go backwards. You can figure it is right on that line between where you heard it stop, and back where it stop again. It is easy and only takes a few minutes of practice, throw some coins on the ground and try. Then bury some and try again, you should be able to get them first scoop.

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
thanks steve I will give that a try. I went ahead an ordered a ace 250 anyway. I have wanted one for a backup and for the kids to use when they come into town. I hope I can pinpoint accuratly with the sovereign thou as It goes much deeper and I know which tones are which on it. thanks again and HH Ted

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey there treasurechic congrats on this find, you got love this part of the country we live in for our hobby!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions