Cable Repair.........on Minelab Sovereign Tornado coil.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Anyone have a coil cable repair suggestion on a Genuine Minelab sovereign GT Tornado 1000 coil.

The outer insulation is crumbling........badly. :(
GenuineMinelabCoil.jpg

Have used the Sovereign GT for the past year with a CoilTek 15" WOT coil, so the Tornado 1000 was a spare not used until I had to do a test and found the insulation falling apart :'(

ivanll

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Minelab Sovereign Tornado coil.

Check the link below out, I splice coils and headphones on Excals......The process would be the same to fix your problem and infact would be easier since you do not have to do any physical splices, I have never had a problem to date by using this process...

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,322931.0.html

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Minelab Sovereign Tornado coil.

I would suggest replacing the coil as bad as it looks, but......
3:1 heat shrink tubing is also available with a "dual-wall" construction. It is called dual wall because it is actually made up of two different materials together. One wall - the outer wall - is Polyolefin heat shrink. The second wall (hence the name "dual wall") - the inner wall - is a hot melt adhesive. When exposed to heat (usually a bit lower than the activation temperature of the heat shrink), the inner layer begins to flow (just like a hot melt glue). When the tubing shrinks and cools down, inner layer forms an adhesion layer between the tubing and the component or wire. This provides a water-tight seal, protecting the connector and/or wire. It also allows the tubing to stick to the substrate. This is why this tubing is also called adhesive lined heat shrink tubing........

http://www.buyheatshrink.com/heatshrinktubing/3to1adhesive.htm#B

I have been looking for a source on 5 lead coil cable and this is as good as I can find, anyone see a vender that sells the stuff?
http://cableorganizer.com/igus/pvc-power-cables/#features 4 lead is 8.6 mms, need 6 to 7 mm

OP
OP
I

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
:hello: Thank you all for the replies and splendid suggestions, :icon_thumright: very commendable forum spirit. :icon_thumleft:

I've changed the title heading to better reflect on the thread purpose in case someone else should find the answers usefull.

I shall try the dual wall shrink tube.

Also contacted Minelab just down the road to see if they had a suggestion, got a generous polite reply including the retail prices of some new coil.
What can one say, outstanding home brand service :-*

ivanll

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The shrink tubing on the coil wire works fine only problem is it's not as flexible as the stock, so less turns around the shaft work better. Also if you hip mount there maybe issues as far as flexing of the coil cable. Let us know how she works for you.....

OP
OP
I

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Heatshrink Tubing with Glue Lining did the necessary cable shield repair just perfect.
I chest mount the housing so there is no trouble with the cable being slightly less flexible.

Thanks once more for the suggestions.

If; Ian Aitken, Regional General Manager - Consumer Australasia Minelab Electronics Pty Ltd had replied with this suggestion, he to would have received a thank you.

ivanll

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivanll said:
Heatshrink Tubing with Glue Lining did the necessary cable shield repair just perfect.
I chest mount the housing so there is no trouble with the cable being slightly less flexible.

If; Ian Aitken, Regional General Manager - Consumer Australasia Minelab Electronics Pty Ltd had replied with this suggestion, he to would have received a thank you.

ivanll

Minelab is not going to suggest something like that, just like Dell computers will not suggest you solder a USB jumper cable to the motherboard to fix a bad USB port on a pc, or Ford tell you to install a separate switch under the dash to replace a bad ignition switch on a steering column...

OP
OP
I

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Treasure_Hunter said:
ivanll said:
ivanll
Minelab is not going to suggest something like that, just like Dell computers will not suggest you solder a USB jumper cable to the motherboard to fix a bad USB port on a pc, or Ford tell you to install a separate switch under the dash to replace a bad ignition switch on a steering column...

Not everyone associated with Minelab here in Australia have have the same level of helpful attitude, Mr Aitken was just the person which provided his answered to my eMail.

ivanll

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread