What do I need to know about the Explorer SE ?

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right now I'm ready to purchase another (used) detector. There's a lot of things I really like about the SE, but I am really thrown off by the customer service/repair issue. I'm worried, for one thing, that guys buy these, then the machines go to the market when the warranty wears off. I'm sure they are great machines right from the factory, but how they hold up as used gear?, Also what to expect with repair costs. I tossing back and forth between a Whites purchase, or an Minelab. I would probably go with a DFX if it's a Whites. The DFX reputation for being a hard machine doesn't worry me. I seem to do OK with tech stuff and have some experience there. The DFX's have been going about 200 bucks less so that is a small plus in the Whites direction......and aside from that....How do they compare hunting? The things I want most are 1, a VDI and more target info from a detector (I'm am using a Whites Quantuum XT, no VDI but otherwise I like the machine ) ...and....2 More help with separation of trash/target.. I really like the 2 number VDI system of the Minelab....But I think the DFX gives you two different reads for it's 2 frequencies, too....thanks,... any ideas, anyone?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Minelab Explorer SE Pro or the Minelab E-Trac are silver sucking machines. Feel free to call me with any questions or for a great deal on a new one. Love to help you!

You would be much happier in the long run with a Minelab Metal Detectors. They are top of the line and the new people in charge of customer service are AWESOME.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Double post for some reason... sorry.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
you have to know that all explorers are the same. if its work it will work, nothing special. :whip2:

keninkansas

Greenie
Feb 20, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excall-ll,minelabe explorer se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both, the se and Excalibur ll, sent in the Excalibur for loose battery wire, got back in less than 3 weeks, excellent return time and they replaced just about everything they could, never had a problem with the se, use it more in dirt, pull tabs are usually strong 18, gold at 22, coins 28,Excalibur ll is the go to machine anywhere, but if your willing to learn, it can pinpoint to an inch so not alot of digging has to be done, ken

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have Both the White's DFX and the Minelab's SE, My first choice when I head out is the SE. I do know the SE better and to me is the better of the two, but when it comes to customer service the White's is by far the best. Weight the Se is much heavier, But I love the tones and the digital ID, between the two the Se is easier to set up for this, and I like that info..since I have turned to water hunting the last 6 years I've even been thinking about waterproofing the SE. .....One thing about both, I think if you got to know the DFX you could hang with any SE hunter. Also, I did a little depth compare several years ago, and seems the Se was a tad deeper..by a few inch's, as far as target seperation both I can go slow and pick out the treasure.......Reason I'm keeping the DFX, it's lite..and someday maybe my drysand machine. One thing about the excal's, you have a sell ratio of 50 excal's to every SE sell and if your buying a used SE, more then likely it was built in Ireland..So there are going to be more excal's to have issue's, and being a water machine does not help the life of a detector. And now the new stuff is being built in the far east, so used, older minelabs is the only way to go.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at the cost you save buying one used, and you get a good used one, the money saved can cover a lot of repairs if it ever needs it.... I have bought several ( 5 to be exact) used Minelabs, have not been unhappy with a single one. Yes I had to send 2 in for repairs, one because the idiot that owned it let it fall off his van and cracked the coil (guess who that was :BangHead:) and one because a wire in the headphones of one of the 3 excals I have bought used went bad. I saved so much money on it, it would cover 3 trips to Minelab......

I bought one of my Excals for $475 used, one for $600 used, and the first one for $800 used, sold it for $750 2 years later....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread