Minelab E-Trac Coil tests. Stock Pro coil vs Coiltek 5X10 vs Sunray X-5.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is that blog located? Oh I see "BLOG" is a link.

Last edited:

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bart this had me going, I thought I would check it out and I tried! Then I see this was dug up from 15 months ago. :)

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it and read it. My biggest question lately is whether a DD's shape affects the depth i.e. is a 6x8 as deep as an 8" or closer to 6" etc.
Bart this had me going, I thought I would check it out and I tried! Then I see this was dug up from 15 months ago. :)

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This must be buried many pages deep in the blog, I think I went to 5 or 6 and gave up.

I have owned and used both of the coils you are speaking of. The deepest coin I found with the 6" EQ2 was a measured 9" in my front yard. If I remember right it was a 2 cent piece. I am sure the 6 x 8 will go that deep but I just never had that coil over a deep coin.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the Procoil out today and found very little. It was the first time I had used it since my very first outing with my Etrac. All of my best finds have been with the 6X8 on the same property. I think I just haven't quite gotten the knack of pinpointing the bigger coil and I think i must be getting some "mixed signals" that are hard to separate. With the 6x8 I have found several coins within an inch of a rusty nail. The 6x8 pinpoints dead center and is still bigger than the 5" and 6" coils so I think I gotta be getting some decent depth and coverage.(I have an X-5 and still haven't ever used it.)
This must be buried many pages deep in the blog, I think I went to 5 or 6 and gave up.

I have owned and used both of the coils you are speaking of. The deepest coin I found with the 6" EQ2 was a measured 9" in my front yard. If I remember right it was a 2 cent piece. I am sure the 6 x 8 will go that deep but I just never had that coil over a deep coin.

OP
OP
Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is always easier to hunt with a smaller coil. You may miss deeper targets but they separate much better. If your hunting in old place I would suggest using the stock coil and slow WAY WAY down. It will pay off for you.

I would bet you put the sun ray x-5 coil on and you find even more you missed with the 6x8.

Small coils are much easier to learn a new machine on as well.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I haven't even used my X-5 yet...the area where I have found the most good coins actually has the least amount of trash! I thought about trying the X-5 next hunt and maybe using the Pro coil on that good coin area with little trash(haven't tried it there yet: I used it last time on the more trashy area,) Not so confident with the big coil yet but getting better...

It is always easier to hunt with a smaller coil. You may miss deeper targets but they separate much better. If your hunting in old place I would suggest using the stock coil and slow WAY WAY down. It will pay off for you.

I would bet you put the sun ray x-5 coil on and you find even more you missed with the 6x8.

Small coils are much easier to learn a new machine on as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread