First 5 hours on the SOV GT....3 firsts and question.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Had a really good day today, 32 degrees, 10-20 mph winds but did hit on silver and gold. I posted all the finds in the beach forum so you can see the pics there.

I worked over a cut I had found on a fresh water lake a couple of weeks ago. I found some old coins there and wanted to get back to see if I could come up with more and I had a great time finding old coins. The GT works great but I need more practice to know what to do in certain situations. There were patches of black sand and really thick too. The GT threshold would go silent like it was over iron, I've read the manual and a book on the GT but this mind can't retain anything anymore so I have to learn from experience. Is the GT supposed to null out on black sand? Neat thing is, the detector still worked cause I got a Standing Liberty fifty cent piece in the black sand..... a spot I had gone over with the CZ-21 two weeks ago...... I'm liking the GT enough that I might be jealous of the wife using it..... I need to find more gold to get another one!
Another thing I noticed was the threshold shifting to another tone.... I did find that sometimes but not always I would find what caused the tone shift. I did however chase some ghosts that I never did find....I'm chalking that up to inexperience with the new detector AND using a new scoop with big holes in it.... might have been some small earrings, I need to put the gutter mesh in there before I use it again...

Overall, I'm quite happy with the GT and can't wait to get to Florida in 7 weeks.....

HH
Cliff

Attachments

• IMG_0441sm.jpg
    IMG_0441sm.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0441sm.jpg
    IMG_0441sm.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 308

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned and used Sov for about 4 years now, I still own a Sov GT, I did sell my waterproof sov about 4weeks ago......

I highly suspect the black sand or pieces of it is iron that has completely rusted away staining the soil. Iron is iron, it will still null over it...

Both the Excal and the Sov GT will at times retain the tone produced from last target, this causes the threshold sound to change, but has NO affect on its performace at all. You can get the detector to return to normal threshold sound if it bothers you by passing it over your scoop... What is great about both the Excal and the Sov is it will still see a good target with the iron. I dug a gold ring up and had a piece of iron with the ring in the same scoop when I recovered the ring...

The Sov is a beach vacuum, there is not much at a beach it will not see as long as it isn't burried too deep.... I stop using the stock coil on my Sov and my Excals, I only use either a WOT or the SEF Butterfly coils, for my Sov I have both a 12x15" and a 15"18" Sef Butterfly coil for it as well as a WOT coil...

Good luck and good hunting.... :icon_thumright:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to Treasure Hunter as he knows what he is talking about. The Sov GT is even better than an Excal at the beach and its only failing is it isn't water proof. The threshold will change but has no bearing on its ability to hit on a new target. Its best feature is being able to hit on a target that is under or near a piece of Iron. Other detectors can disc out the iron but the masking effect loses the other target.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes TH know's what he is talking about i have been useing the Sovereign for 20 years now..................... I tried to give it up but i guess i will never give up the Sovereign....... Just to good of a detector..

OP
OP
cdv1

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks guys for the comments and the tips (TH). Went out yesterday and even though I didn't get the old Silver coins, considering the conditions (frozen sand 1st two hours) I did pretty good. Managed to work the black sand over more and slowly and found quite a few of my coins in the black sand (others unable to work it without a PI?). I know my heart was racing on the two nickels I picked up there.... I was hoping for gold!

Cliff

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! great first hunt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread