HELP!!! Minelab Sov GT vs Sov ORIGINAL

Lineweed

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
okay okay, everyone's been telling me the the Sov is King on the beach and I have finally decided on purchasing a one.

However, I've been offered a Sov Original and am now having a headache over choosing an expensive new Sov or a used Sov Original! :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

This model is so old that I can't find much information on it :no: I've to resort to asking you guys your opinion on this.

Does anyone know:

1. Internally, are the GT and Original Sov the same? Or has there been major groundbreaking changes since it first came out? I'm going to use this for the beach and shallow water.

2. If the coil is waterproof? The coil is the old white-coloured one, with a large orange minelab logo and the world "COINSEARCH" super-imposed on it.

3. Is there a volume control? I don't see one at all on the control box!

4. The Sov Original sold uses 8 AA batteries, can it be changed into a modern NiMH battery pack?

5. No Silent Search mode??? is this important?

How much do you think is the max I should buy it for? I'm asking because its used, I have to take into account almost 120USD shipping fee to my country. Seriously considering phoning Plexus Corp in Malaysia and ask if they will ship a single Sov GT down to Singapore :dontknow: Doesn't even make sense for the machine to be assembled in a nearby country, shipped to USA, then sent back to practically the same place with a hefty shipping charge incurred :angry5: :angry5: :angry5:

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
With my expertise on Explorers and reading allot about Sovereigns I think they are basically the same with few knobs plus or minus, but Performance and basic is the same. I am sure we have much more better Sovereigns experts hear and they will tell you more precise. But what I know about all explorers Minelab not changed anything -except price--to say one model are better the another. :hello:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my only expierence with the sovereign was 2nd. or 3rd.
generation which was XS-2 pro

Downside no Repairs by Minelab,
no new coils, etc.

You buy as Disposable, unless you know sombody
who knows sombody.

although, I am now useing an Explorer SE,
& Finding enough to make me happy,
I'm still Convinced BBS is #1

as for old vs New Models, sorry beyond my knowledge,
but most long time sovereign users seem to agree
the first generation had some special appeal.

My opinion, on Price, $300 tops.
in your case maybe $200 - $250 considering Shipping.
I'd say $150, But I Don't think many will part
with a sovereign that cheaply.
I Know it would Spite me to sell
my possably on it's last leg, 2-Pro for less then the cost
of a New one under warranty. :dontknow:
in fact even IF Dead, I wouldn't sell it for less then $1000.
without feeling I Just buried my best friend.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They are all good. The original Sov was fine. I am sure there certain things to make certain things better, but I do know even the first ones were good. Basicly they are all the same. The working parts anyway. They sell for sometimes less than $700, they are good and everyone knows it, keep your eyes on the auctions and on here in the for sale area. And you can get any size coil new for the old ones. CoilTek, Sunray, SEF, etc. Plug is still the same. And you can get new type battery packs for those. All kinds of upgrades for them. I dont know if that coil is waterproof. Look on Kellyco's website, they have many Sov coils for sale. Some are waterproof, and some arent.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have used every Soverign that Minelab made........... And in my opinion the first one they made the original Sovereign back in the early 90's was the best one they made.... It was better than the GT or Elite..and all the other models........ The coils they make for the newer Sovereigns any coil made for the GT ..... Will work on the original Sovereign..... The only problem with the older Sovereign's is Minelab will not repair them now...The reason they want you to buy the new model and that is the only reason................Here is your Minelab wiggle..

Attachments

• wiggle.gif
    wiggle.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 516
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 315
  • wiggle.gif
    wiggle.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 433
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif