Sovereign GT in wet mineralized sand in Southwest Florida

Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello,

I now hunt the beaches of South West Florida with a Sovereign GT and the Sea Hunter. I should of listened to all of your advice, because now after 4 metal detectors I believe I have the best 2 for my usage. First of ALL the Sovereign is awesome!!! How it NULL's iron on the beaches from Clearwater to St. Pete is awesome. The Sea Hunter goes 3 feet deep for a bobbie pin the Sovereign seems to go about a foot deef with the 10" Tornado.
My question is I have the Sovereign set up EXACTLY like Gary Drayton shows on the Minelab Website. Perfect in the sand and perfect in foot deep salt water. However when I am in the wet sand it is beeping continually almost like the Garrett ACE 350 did doing false positives. I am sure I am doing something wrong or maybe those beeps are normal. I have the threshold set minimum audible, sensitivity on Auto, Disc on 8 o'clock, Notch on minimum, Iron mask on. This is what Gary shows on the Minelab setup. Now even with the beeps in the threshold I did find a silver bracelet last night in the wet sand, but should I have it configured differently? Also what is a good coil to get for the beach here? SEF Butterfly or Coilteck 15" WOT? Is $299 a good price for the butterfly from Kellyco?
Thank You for all your advice.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WE Told you many times and you didn't listen. But now, make sure battery is fully charged. Coil cable is tight to the shaft. Clean out the coil cover after each hunt. Turn off cell phone.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using sovereign gt at the beach for years, you will not find a better beach detector to hunt beaches with if you're not going into the water. I use wot coil, 12 by 15 and 15 by 18 SEF butterfly coils on mine

On my settings I set discrimination to the lowest level and adjust sensitivity till detector is stable, sensitivity settings will vary vary from beach to beach and even on the beach your at, many times even what part of the beach your at.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The GT is VERY hard to beat on a beach. Congrats and good hunting!

GrievousAngel

Greenie
Feb 8, 2013
GA and CO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would the Minelab's GT (BBS technology) likely go deeper than the Safari (FBS technology), assuming other things being equal? How much advantage would a good PI detector have over a good BBS or FBS machine, in real world performance?

I am looking for a solid pair of advanced detectors to take advantage of the current basic technologies (VLF and PI) in order to successfully search most common terrains (land and sea), with the exception of very small gold flakes, as maybe a 3rd detector will be required.

Thanks, Billy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread