I need some help understanding my Minelab SE, please

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
if you like discrimination, use threshold, but in TTF you can use Explorers without discrimination and hear all iron and the rest targets.
in Explorers after 22-24 manual sensitivity is not so much gain in depth and from my experience from manual 22-24 sensitivity detector works differently and not so smooth.
If Slim coil good it should handle the same sensitivity like 1050, and not till 16.
Noise cancel not related to ground condition its just adopts to surrounding EMI, that is why minelab recommending keep coil off the ground higher-like antenna.

I can be VERY NICE and NICE :lock_open: and can teach some explorer ETrac basic on Skype, but only if anybody wants :cat:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) Andy somewhat gives the impression in his book that it's basically a "no-brainer" when it comes to noise cancel. He actually goes as far as to say use it every 30 minutes or so and use it when ground conditions change. Other than the fact that he knows a bit more than me, it seems logical. I didn't use it the first couple of hunts because when I bought the machine I was told that "here's the noise cancel, I didn't really use it, it seemed to take a while". I was also told that when hunting with a partner, Minelab's don't get along.. Perhaps noise cancel would've helped that situation.

My question for you is this. Do you see any beneficial reason to not use noise cancel? Do you not use it?

2) I am starting to see the benefits of threshold. When I first turned the machine on and heard the constant hum I thought it was broken. :)

Not sure why his book says to his the noise cancel when the ground changes because the ground balance takes care of that, noise cancel is for interference. But to answer your question I see no negative in hitting the button. On the flip side if you turn on and your detector is nice and quiet I don't see any great advantage to pushing it, but again won't hurt you. I usually have to hit mine because my friend also uses an explorer and they do cross talk some.

The idea is to gradually use less and less discrimination as you get to know the detector, but this takes time. When I started I used Ironmask and maybe every month or two dropped it a notch lower. Now I use close to no disc., high sens., it can be noisy as heck at times but all makes sense. In time you'll be able to recognize the detector nulling around a good target, and nulling through a bad one. I also use the same settings all the time because in combination with the threshold and null it's a base point to work off of, and one I know extremely well after so many hundreds of hours of using it that way. I would recommend doing that in a few years once you have worked your way to some settings you are happy with.

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
GTI2500, GTAX550, MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO,
PROPOINTER, GARRETT AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its been awhile and its good to hear from you Iron Patch and all your experiance with the Minelab explorer

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been awhile and its good to hear from you Iron Patch and all your experiance with the Minelab explorer

Yeah I sort of lost interest talking about detectors but do post now and again. I just happened to see this thread on the home page when I logged in.

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Not sure why his book says to his the noise cancel when the ground changes because the ground balance takes care of that, noise cancel is for interference. But to answer your question I see no negative in hitting the button. On the flip side if you turn on and your detector is nice and quiet I don't see any great advantage to pushing it, but again won't hurt you. I usually have to hit mine because my friend also uses an explorer and they do cross talk some.

This!

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I sort of lost interest talking about detectors but do post now and again. I just happened to see this thread on the home page when I logged in.

Well, I know you know the machine and I was about to send you a PM with some questions a couple weeks ago but I opted to make this thread in hopes that you would chime in. Thanks for finding it

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the basics that are the factory settings but tweaked them just a bit. I'm using it as a home base or starting point to build off of with what I'm learning. I tried to get too fancy too quick with using patterns from the Sabisch book I think. Maybe not so much using them but changing them too often while not even learning them. Now that I've gone back to factory settings I'm finding more coins and also learning the digital side pretty good whereas I have a good idea what it is before I dig. I also found my first silver dime yesterday so things are getting better.

Today I noticed that I haven't been finding any nickels the last few hunts and I thought it was because they're falling into the foil or bottle cap range and being overlooked. I just threw a couple of nickels on the carpet and ran the machine over them and heard nothing. Interesting that factory settings on the SE along with accepting coins & jewelry would discriminate out nickels. Unless these are falling under the screw cap & bottle cap category.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend hunts with a se pro said hes waiting for me to buy 1 so i can teach him how to use it lol sounds like alot of fun that thing has alot of options to learn

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the nickel discrimination was a fluke because once I got outside this morning I threw a nickel down and it picked it up right away. The problem was with me thinking that the readings were foil. After learning where the nickels read on my machine, I started my hunt and the first target was indeed a nickel.. I'm starting to feel a bit more confident hunting with this machine now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread