so many etracs for sale... how good is it really??

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, let's see. I'm a newbie when it comes to detecting, but figure I will learn at my own pace like everyone else. I have been considering the E-Trac (new or used) as it sounds like a good all around purchase. If it is not water proof, however that may be a deal breaker for me as I intend to hit alot of streams, rivers and lake areas. Do they make a waterproof coil for it? The CTX3030 sounds intriuging as well, but not sure I want to fork out that much for my first good detector.

Another possible issue: I have alot of titanium in my body- 17 3" screws, plates and skeletized framework(unfortunately). Is this going to cause an issue with readings even though titanium is non-ferrous? I don't want to sell my beautiful pistol to get a super metal detector only to find I cannot use one...because I'm part terminator now.

3 things:
1 - The E-trac is waterproof up to the control box so streams and such should be no problem. I have used mine at all of the above - even the beach!
2 - ALL metal detectors can find BOTH ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
3 - I would try a metal detector and see how it reacts to the titanium that is contained in your body. I doubt the E-trac would behave much differently than any other machine in regards to your specific situation.

Realredrebel

May 6, 2012
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac w/X-1 SunRay probe.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Etrac and the new CTX3030... I love both machines and the only way I would give up the Etrac is to trade it In for a new one... Mine is beat up a little but works great.

Tim

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, let's see. I'm a newbie when it comes to detecting, but figure I will learn at my own pace like everyone else. I have been considering the E-Trac (new or used) as it sounds like a good all around purchase. If it is not water proof, however that may be a deal breaker for me as I intend to hit alot of streams, rivers and lake areas. Do they make a waterproof coil for it? The CTX3030 sounds intriuging as well, but not sure I want to fork out that much for my first good detector.

Another possible issue: I have alot of titanium in my body- 17 3" screws, plates and skeletized framework(unfortunately). Is this going to cause an issue with readings even though titanium is non-ferrous? I don't want to sell my beautiful pistol to get a super metal detector only to find I cannot use one...because I'm part terminator now.

I am a newbie with an excalibur for a few months now. I also have a titaniium ankle with 5 screws and a plate. To date I haven't noticed an issue, but for the first few weeks it didn't even occur to me. I thought about about a month ago and tried to get some reaction from the md but it was awkward to try to wave by the ankle. Best of luck to you, but I think model/brand of your machine shouldn't be an issue, a high or low end machine would probably react the same.

Happy Hunting,

Pete

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread