Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: SOVEREIGN GT waterproof ?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    br
    Jul 2012
    Brazil _ Rio de Janeiro
    3 times
    Metal Detecting

SOVEREIGN GT waterproof ?

Why make the SOVEREIGN GT waterproof if the EXCALIBUR already is?

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    8788 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Excal is based on early version of sov, the sov has a lot more features, especially the sov gt...

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

br
    Jul 2012
    Brazil _ Rio de Janeiro
    3 times
    Metal Detecting
    What features?

May 2012
    Minelab Sovereign GT ,Fisher F2 DD Coil, NEL Tornado Coil, Garret Propointer ....
    9 times
    Mine should be here by Monday.... Sovereign GT Rulez!
    Last edited by Kbron2000; Jul 14, 2012 at 01:44 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    1960 times
    What features? Being able to turn Iron Mask on or off. Being able to change frequencies, All Metal, trasmits on two freq just like Excal. Zero motion pinpointing. BBS and able to detect a gold ring or coin under a railroad spike or other trash just like an Excal. Being able to change batteries on the fly. Being able to change to larger coils like the 15" WOT or Butterfly. Ability to use premium headphones like Black Widow's or Grey Ghost underwater phones.

The Sov GT is the king of the beach detectors and if Minelab offered it in a waterproof version, they wouldn't sell the others. Mine has paid for itself more than a few times and the time saved is priceless.Name:  Sov GT.png
Views: 723
Size:  108.9 KB
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Nov 2008
    PA
    Minelab CTX / XP Deus
    15 times
    Waterproofing a detector is risky business. One leak and you can kiss a good deal of money bye-bye. Something that is less risky is waterproofing an older model Sovereign. There is less investment in the detector. In my opinion and it is just that "My Opinion" the Excalibur is a great beach detector. Maybe the best water unit made. But I like the Sovereign better in the dry and wet sand. In the Mid Atlantic region you can water hunt during low tide. One of the low tide cycles is usually at night and I'm not getting in the water when it is dark. So you are down to a few water hunting hours a day. Some of those days the wind or bad weather will not let you enter the water. Water temperature will allow you to only hunt certain months. What I'm getting at is this. Where I hunt NJ, MD, and Delaware I'm sand hunting more than water hunting no matter what. It would be nice to afford a Sovereign and Excalibur. But I'll bag a Sovereign for the water hunting I want to do. I get to pick a coil. I pick my headphones. As long as I don't get my head wet I'm doing fine. My total investment for my beach unit is about 400.00. That is a Sovereign Elite, 10" Tornado coil, cable clam and Aqua-Pak bag. The Elite box I got for 200.00.So if I leak I'm only out 200.00 vs 750.00 for a GT. See you in the surf!
    Last edited by goodmore; Jul 13, 2012 at 07:58 PM.
    Swinging a detector on a beach is about as good as it gets

Charter Member
    us
    Big Boys Hobbies

Jul 2005
    Moore Oklahoma
    Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
    345 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    What features? Being able to turn Iron Mask on or off. Being able to change frequencies, All Metal, trasmits on two freq just like Excal. Zero motion pinpointing. BBS and able to detect a gold ring or coin under a railroad spike or other trash just like an Excal. Being able to change batteries on the fly. Being able to change to larger coils like the 15" WOT or Butterfly. Ability to use premium headphones like Black Widow's or Grey Ghost underwater phones.

The Sov GT is the king of the beach detectors and if Minelab offered it in a waterproof version, they wouldn't sell the others. Mine has paid for itself more than a few times and the time saved is priceless.Name:  Sov GT.png
Views: 723
Size:  108.9 KB
    Great post!!

Contact us for fastest and best service around!

We will beat any price or deal. Have questions on a machine?
    Bart@BigBoysHobbies.net or Call or text 405-206-9010
    Minelab Metal Detectors, Garrett Metal Detectors, XP Deus, Fisher Metal Detectors, Teknetics Metal Detectors

Minelab Partner of the year award for the USA 2012. Minelab Customer service award 2012 and 2013.

br
    Jul 2012
    Brazil _ Rio de Janeiro
    3 times
    Metal Detecting
    I would like to know if there is a 90 degrees connection for coils and headphones. I work with fiberglass (I made a fiberglass sandscoop) and I am planning to construct a waterproof box for the SOV.

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    1960 times
    There are ninety degree connections for headphones but the coil connectors aren't.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    8788 times
    On my custom waterproofed Sov GT it was in an ikelite camera case large enough for it to sit about 2 inches from the bottom where the coil cable existed through a waterproof connector. It was mounted in the center of the top that clamped shut and sat suspended inside the case, if the case leaked it would have to have at least 2 inches of water in it to make it to the control box....

All of the major controls were extended outside the case through waterproofed connectors...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WaterproofedGT1.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	653750

Name:	WaterproofedGT4.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	653753

Name:	WaterproofedGT3.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	653752

Name:	WaterproofedGT2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	653751
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Jul 14, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
    hamiddetecting likes this.

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

TreasureNet.com Rules

Charter Member
    us
    Big Boys Hobbies

Jul 2005
    Moore Oklahoma
    Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
    345 times
    Metal Detecting
    Nice setup!

Contact us for fastest and best service around!

We will beat any price or deal. Have questions on a machine?
    Bart@BigBoysHobbies.net or Call or text 405-206-9010
    Minelab Metal Detectors, Garrett Metal Detectors, XP Deus, Fisher Metal Detectors, Teknetics Metal Detectors

Minelab Partner of the year award for the USA 2012. Minelab Customer service award 2012 and 2013.

br
    Jul 2012
    Brazil _ Rio de Janeiro
    3 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    On my custom waterproofed Sov GT it was in an ikelite camera case large enough for it to sit about 2 inches from the bottom where the coil cable existed through a waterproof connector. It was mounted in the center of the top that clamped shut and sat suspended inside the case, if the case leaked it would have to have at least 2 inches of water in it to make it to the control box....

All of the major controls were extended outside the case through waterproofed connectors...

Name:	WaterproofedGT1.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	653750

Name:	WaterproofedGT4.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	653753

Name:	WaterproofedGT3.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	653752

Name:	WaterproofedGT2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	653751
    I like your box very much! Why did you make this box if you have already a EXCALIBUR?

Charter Member
    us

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    8788 times
    I didnt make it, I bought it from a friend who was getting divorced and needed money quick....

Like I said before, the Excal is based on an old sovereign version but without many options..... The Sov GT is a lot better beach detector than the Excal, but it is not water proofed. If it was waterproofed I would sell my Excal in a heartbeat and buy a Minelab made waterproofed Sov GT.......

I bought it originally because I wanted to hunt in the water with a WOT coil, after I bought it I learned how to do custom mods on the excal and both my excalls now have 15 inch coils hardwired on them. I sold it because although it is great in the water and better than the excal, it was heavy and you could not take it under water with wearing weights, it floated like an intertube.....
    Sandman likes this.

TreasureNet.com Rules

br
    Jul 2012
    Brazil _ Rio de Janeiro
    3 times
    Metal Detecting
    What store to buy in the SOV Miame?

Charter Member
    us

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    8788 times
    All the dealers on TreasureNet would be happy to sell you one, take your pick...,

TreasureNet.com Rules

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors