Will you lose your hunting spots by using the CTX 3030?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab CTX 3030 has a GPS and you can record your waypoints, hunting spots by using Google Earth software. Anyone think that by using this feature it could be hacked and your Hotspots can be highjacked? I would rather stick to using my notepad to note where the Holly Grail is located.

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
It is a valid point you bring up - Security. But, you really have to think here - Metal detecting is a fringe "hobby". That would mean someone would have to live near you and be able to hack into your settings/computer in order for that to happen. I doubt that happens. First, they would have to be very computer literate to break into your machine. Then they would have to know your password (if it isn't saved in your exhchange II). I mean really, the chances of this are just about null. JMHO. I just don't think computer hackers, many of them anyway, are metal detectorists. If a break in occurred, it would be an inside job imo. :laughing7:

Albert

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking more of hacking into Google Earth.

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
I thought you have to use the Exchange II to be able to view the spots you saved? That app is password protected and stored via Minelab. Where can you just log onto Google Earth and find this data?

If it is true that your data is on Google Earth, then this does open up a whole other can of worms.

Albert

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just don't want my wife to find me. Cell phones are bad enough! Ha ha ha ha :occasion14:

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
I dont trust any form of electronics, GPS is one of this , Once I found very good-unique spot from looking others forum post photos, spend four days looking for right river turn and found it, imagine what can be done with GPS..

Realredrebel

May 6, 2012
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac w/X-1 SunRay probe.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that Minelab would lose a lot of customers if they were tracking CTX 3030 users locations and then allowing the information to go public... I don't think we have anything to be concerned about.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody has to allow users locations to go public!!! Yahoo, Facebook and the other sites didn't allow hackers to enter their sites and learn private information. Hackers got SS numbers, phone and addresses which they could sell or otherwise use. There are to many Tech illeterate people even on this site that don't know that anything you post is there forever, available to anyone. You can post your waypoints on Minelab's page on Google Earth and with all the interest in gold, don't be suprised if someone visits your home because you blabbed about the location or you find someone on your Claim. "Fringe Hobby indeed.":laughing7:

Last edited:

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
Well then Mr. Sandman (and Keppy), looks like we will need Exchange II counterintelligence in the form of "false secret spots". Yes, we will have to plant false positives. :laughing7:
We can set up some remote monitoring cameras, get these wrong doers on video, post them on Youtube, here, etc. We will prevail! :headbang:

“Artists use lies to tell the truth. Yes, I created a lie. But because you believed it, you found something true about yourself.”

vendetta_07.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Albert, why don't you just record your real locations in a note book? Then you won't come off sounding like Overkill Overkill. :laughing9:

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
Sandman - I don't really record finds in general. When I discovered a 500 year old market I did record my coin finds on a printout from google maps and that did the trick - I was easily able to locate the oldest section and some other interesting info.

I have only played with the GPS function on the CTX. I might use it with larger areas in the future (if I find any) or to zero me in on spots that I find on google maps. Thus far it is not really of use to me (but I'm still open to it).

I don't "really" have worries regarding the GPS feature and it's possible security problems, hence my joke. But you do seem to have some concerns (and not unfounded), that is why you started this thread, right? So why don't you record your locations in a notebook? :tongue3:

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earthmansurfer. I did mention that I use a notebook to record things. I started the thread to let others know their info might not be as secure as they think. It is a far fetch that anyone would hack a site for the reasons I gave, but many have been robbed because they let others know what they found. It is for their information only. Loose lips sink ships. :occasion14:

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earthmansurfer. I did mention that I use a notebook to record things. I started the thread to let others know their info might not be as secure as they think. It is a far fetch that anyone would hack a site for the reasons I gave, but many have been robbed because they let others know what they found. It is for their information only. Loose lips sink ships. :occasion14:

At training this seemed to be the number one concern of the participants(our trainer mentioned other groups had brought it up as well). We were told it was safe(obviously). That being said every one needs to decide on their own if it;s worth the risk or if they even consider it a risk. Like you noted major sites are all hackable, the safest road is only put out there what you're willing to risk. If you are on a huge lead, "keep it secret keep it safe" . If it is a old homesite in the woods and you stand to maybe lose some old coins and the typical relics if the unlikely happens, the benefits may out way the risk.

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
Sandman - oops, my bad, missed that part about the notepad.

I do think we need an IT expert (I'm no longer one) to really answer this question. But I don't believe Google Earth, stores the data, I think Minelab (or the app?) does and it merely uses Google Earth to plot the data points on. I am not sure, but I think for a person to steal the data they would have to get into your computer and copy the data out of the directory. So, they would probably need to be following you on a CTX forum, get your IP address, break into your computer, and on. Which now that I mention it, doesn't sound all that hard to a hacker. But again, I don't think many detectorists are hackers. I'm an ex-IT guy, know much more than the average person about computers, but I don't know how to do all that - though I'm sure a person with motivation could figure it out.

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
We live in a brave new world now, that MANY of the unknowing ones THINK life is right on track, and Google was only CAUGHT snooping in all the neighborhoods for a good news story with THEIR snooping devices, and it was just some type of weird accident. They sure don't have high connections to ANYTHING. They are just Google. A company. Their technology is completely limited, and they would certainly be notifying us all if they were listening, tracking, or gathering information on us all. FaceBook is innocent too. Yeah, and Hitler never used IBM, with computer punch cards to gather information either. Races, jobs, incomes, etc.. FACT! Search that one Youtube and see what ya find. We sure haven't moved into higher tech that would be KEPT from OUR KNOWLEDGE. We know everything about the all of the secrets that used at any time. To add. GE with their Energy Star appliances would never be use high tech gathering to know our behaviors, actions, and whatever. No TV can listen to you! Nor your own SMART PHONE. You're crazy! No way! These are ONLY devices, and appliances that just do their job, just like the ones mom and dad used.

Last edited:

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
Xchange 2 uses Google Maps, not Google Earth. They are very different in capabilities. In my opinion Google Earth is much better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using one of the excellent Garmin handhelds is the best and safest way to record your waypoints and it is always with you and you don't need to log on to any website to view them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread