The TINMAN

Greenie
Sep 13, 2012
Bellefonte PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soveriegn GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a Gt and I know that it takes a bit to get use to the tones of any detector but just wondering if most the tones from the soveriegn should sound like a high tone. Got it when it nulls out on iron and does have a lower tone on a few things but it seeems that alot of things that would come in as a medium tone on my old detectors come in as a high tone on the Gt. Any replies appreciated !
Any tips on dirt fisng the soil in PA is appreciated and hope I can get to a beach at some point as I understand that this is a true beach vacumh.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sov GT is the best beach detector so far as you don't get it wet. It has to be protected from the salt spray too. All detectors are different on how they report the conductivity of the target. The GT doesn't have a low tone, mid tone and a high tone, as such. It more or less sounds like a strangled duck with a bunch of tones. Basically if the MD makes a sound, I scoop it since I know it isn't small iron trash. The Excal is also good, but it lacks the features of the GT. If Minelab made a waterproof Sov GT they could sell a couple million of them. I know they make a newer CTX, but it costs to much for most hunters to justify. I can afford it but don't feel I need to play with one yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The TINMAN

The TINMAN

Greenie
Sep 13, 2012
Bellefonte PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soveriegn GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sandman ! A strangled duck for sure.
I'll just keep swingin and learn the tones as one should.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should not be getting a tone on iron when it nulls, a null is loss of threshold, not a tone. Are you sure not in all metal?

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The tones of the GT are easy to tell apart after a few days of pratice with it.
I can have about the same results in a hunt weather i'm using my GT or my E-track.
One of the key things is a great set of headphones so you know what the tone is telling you.
I have my GT mounted in a back pack.
I sprayed the back pack with some fabric gard to help repell moisture from the enviroment.

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Minelab Sov GT is an excellent machine. The audio on this one really tells a lot about targets.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab Sov GT is one of the best detectors you can own. It excels at the beach because of its depth and being able to sound off on a gold ring or a coin under a piece of iron. Other detectors can disc out iron but also mask out the other target. Not the Sov GT! It is also the king in the parks if you are tired of the displays lying to you telling you you have a dime when it is a piece of junk.
Sovereign Gt | Lost Treasure Online - Official Website of Lost Treasure Magazine

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The Minelab Sov GT is one of the best detectors you can own. It excels at the beach because of its depth and being able to sound off on a gold ring or a coin under a piece of iron. Other detectors can disc out iron but also mask out the other target. Not the Sov GT! It is also the king in the parks if you are tired of the displays lying to you telling you you have a dime when it is a piece of junk.
Sovereign Gt | Lost Treasure Online - Official Website of Lost Treasure Magazine
... That is what i always said if you have a Sovereign you got the best detector out there........... And the best detector that Minelab makes ......

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baby that machine if the rumors are true come Dec.31st the GT will end production with Minelab !! what i did is get a target id meter for my GT it really helps id targets until you understand tones better , the GT is one of the best beach and field detector you can get . Good luck Jim

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a killer deal on a Sovereign GT if anyone is interested. Call me for best deal! Bart

OP
OP
The TINMAN

The TINMAN

Greenie
Sep 13, 2012
Bellefonte PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soveriegn GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do get a null on iron, should have ststed that better.
Thanks Treasure Hunter

pongo

May 6, 2009
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab,Whites
My advice is to lay out different targets in your yard,this way you can get to know the tones ,practice and you will learn what the GT is telling you,

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My advice is to lay out different targets in your yard,this way you can get to know the tones ,practice and you will learn what the GT is telling you,

Great advice! I tape some to big pieces of cardboard and flip them over around the yard. Great way to learn to pin point as well.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
CJC has a New book out on the excalibur and several out on the sovereign. Christmas coming.....I just bought 8 for my winter reading....they are hard to set down.And always a good referance.

cjc's books.jpg

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
The Sov GT is the best beach detector so far as you don't get it wet. It has to be protected from the salt spray too. All detectors are different on how they report the conductivity of the target. The GT doesn't have a low tone, mid tone and a high tone, as such. It more or less sounds like a strangled duck with a bunch of tones. Basically if the MD makes a sound, I scoop it since I know it isn't small iron trash. The Excal is also good, but it lacks the features of the GT. If Minelab made a waterproof Sov GT they could sell a couple million of them. I know they make a newer CTX, but it costs to much for most hunters to justify. I can afford it but don't feel I need to play with one yet.

I thought there was something wrong, I just got my GT and scanned a silver quarter and a gold wedding band and could tell no difference.

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the time it is easier for me to tell the difference by listing to the threshold return than the actual sound. When the threshold returns on some targets it is slightly different. No doubt on iron.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
... That is what i always said if you have a Sovereign you got the best detector out there........... And the best detector that Minelab makes ......

Exactly what I was going to post.

I love those clear tones high, med. or low of my GT!

Lorraine

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the beachnut needs a book on the excal...who you trying to fool, you old nut. enjoy your vids, by the way. My excal just got here yesterday..battery is charged...and, yes I ordered those books too..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions